CHAPTER 10

“...3, 2, 1. No more steps. You're good."

"Thanks Kal." I love the creek. Not the steps to get to it.

"No problem."

We make it to the creek and I take off my shoes and wade in.

"How is it?" Mari sounds a little anxious.

"A little on the cool side. It feels really nice." I wade in deeper and dunk my head under the water.

When I come up, I feel someone grab me from behind and I yell, startled. I try to elbow the person but miss.

"Whoa killer calm down it's just me." Kal gently grabs my waist.

"You scared the crap out of me. Not cool Kal. God." My tone is irritated.

I take a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart. He wraps his arms around my stomach and his head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry. Forgive me?"

I melt at his tone and sigh. I can't stay mad at him. "Fine. But if you do that again I might drown you."

"Noted."

I turn around in his arms and kiss him before shoving him into the water. He lets go of me with a surprised yelp and I hear a splash. I'm laughing by the time he comes up.

He coughs. "That was so mean."

"Now we're even."

"I thought you forgave me."

I laugh again. "Just because I'm not mad at you doesn't mean I'm not petty sweetheart."

"Fair enough. Truce?"

"Truce."

"Kallll stop being all lovey dovey with your boyfriend and come help me build this sand castle." Mari's voice is a mixture of whining and amusement.

"Your 15. you can build a sand castle by yourself."

"But you're better and I need your help. I didn't come along just to be third wheel to you guys."

"You signed up for it."

I hear her huff and I smile. "Kal, go help your sister with her sand castle."

When he kisses me I can feel his smile. "Mmm but I wanna stay here with you."

I sigh. "If I give you kisses later will you go and help her like the good big brother I know you are?"

"I suppose. I really just didn't want to get all sandy."

"Oh go on." I push him in the direction of Mari's voice. "You can always wash off in the river and shower later."

"Will you shower with me?"

"That's gross Kal." Mari does not sound amused.

Kal just laughs and I hear him slosh towards the shore. I dunk my head back under the water and listen the sound of the rushing water. When I can't hold my breath any longer, I come for air and slick my hair back out of my face. That earns me a whistle.

"Kal!" Mari scolds.

"That was hot sexy man. Do it again."

I hear a smack. "Kal stop it, that's gross!"

I laugh at the tone of embarrassment coming from Mari and Kal's comment. I make my way towards the shore and eventually make it to the sand. I stand there for a second trying to remember exactly where Kal and Mari's voice came from.

"Over here Nick," I hear behind me.

I was way off. "Thanks Kal. Also, 'sexy man'? Really?" I turn around and walk towards them.

"It's the truth."

"I'm gonna put sand down your pants Kal. Quit being gross."

"If you put sand down your pants you have to put sand down Nicks pants too. That way we can shower together."

I try and stifle my laughter.

"Oh my god. I am so done with you. That is so gross." I hear Mari say as she walks away.

"I don't see why! You and your girlfriend are lovey dovey allll the time. I even walked in on you two making ou-"

"Kal!! Shut. Up."

Kal just dies of laughter.

I sit next to him. "You are so mean."

"Nah, just teasing." I feel the familiar soft warmth of his lips on mine.

"Such a bully." I kiss him again.

"Well that's what big brothers do. You bully Saoirse too."

I laugh. "Sometimes. But she helps me a lot so I'm nice to her most of the time."

I feel his lips press against mine again and I smile. I feel a breeze blow over me and I shiver. Kal pulls me closer and wraps his arms around me, lending me his body heat.

"Hey Aoife, wanna play hide and seek with me?"

I pause for a second before laughing. "Really Mari?"

"What? It's an honest question, you don't have to laugh."

I hear Kal sigh.

"Well that game would be hardly fair. I wouldn't know how well I'm hiding and I couldn't see to seek you."

"Oh my god I am so sorry I forgot you were blind. Please forgive me I'm so sorry."

I just laugh more. "You're fine. Although if we could go home, that would be great. I'm freezing and I need a shower."

Kal gets up and helps me up. "Yeah come on lets go. You can use our shower."

"You can barrow some of my clothes if you want too," Mari adds in as she runs up beside us.

"Ok. There's no price right?"

"Only that Kal stops being gross. I don't do my lovey dovey stuff in front of you guys so you don't do it in front of me."

I smile. "Deal for me. I can't say anything about Kal."

"You hear that Kal? Quit being gross or your boyfriend goes naked."

Kal laughs. "I would love that actually. So all I have to do is keep being lovey dovey to my boyfriend and I get to see him naked again? Score."

"No!! Ugh. I am SO done with you!"

I smack him. "I am not going naked. You quit it."

"Ok, ok I'm sorry. I promise to stop. For now."

I just sigh and we walk home.