Chapter 3

Adam walked into Peter's office. He also had one-on-one therapy. Which was way worse. At least in group therapy, he could act like he was paying attention. Here though Peter would poke and prod him like some science experiment. The office was way too bright. Too many pastel colors were everywhere. He walked up to the receptionist and signed in. As he was signing his name. The music in the office was playing.

My Cherie amour, lovely as a summer day

Adam dropped the pen and looked at the receptionist. "Is that song really playing?" his voice sounded on edge.

"We have music sometimes," the poor receptionist said. Her voice was starting to shake.

"That song is killing me" Adam snapped. He held his hand in a clenched fist. "Can you turn it off"

She shook her head. "I can't"

"What do you mean you can't?" Adam said more aggressively.

"I don't have the controls. I'm sorry I-" she started to sound nervous.

"Did Peter put you up to this?" He accused her. People in the waiting room started to look at the scene. "Is there a speaker here" he walked over to the magazine case and started aggressively pulling out magazines. "Is it here?" he started throwing the magazines. People then looked at him. "Sorry, I'll fix this" he picked them up. He started breathing heavily trying to fix his mistake.

"Adam" Peter stepped out of his office. "Please come see me" he looked concerned. Adam knew he was in trouble.

Adam marched to his office and sat down in a leather chair. He hated this chair and how the leather stuck to him. How uncomfortable it was. He hated how nice the office looked. "That was a messed up thing, Peter. That was a messed up thing"

"Adam I don't understand," Peter said with a sympathetic look. "What was with the song?"

Adam breathed in. He needed to stay calm. "Let's go back to the incident." he hated talking about it. "I come back from work after I left early which I never do by the way. But I got into a fight with a co-worker. I come home and what's playing but the song. The song you so kindly played out here for today" Adam pointed to the waiting room in anger. His voice was getting more erratic. "That song is playing. I don't think anything of it which is odd cuz I should have. I come home what do I see? Clothes scattered everywhere. Men's clothes along with my wife's clothes. I go up to our room. I then see our record player is playing. I see the record and it's our wedding song. I then open the bathroom door and see my wife standing there in the shower. I think that's kinda sweet maybe she wants to revive our sex life. I pull the curtain back and do you know what I see?" Adam closed his eyes for a second reliving the painful memory. "I see Lucifer that 5-foot asshole that fucked my first wife. And you know what he does" Adam looked at Peter dead in the eyes. "He smiles and says you should get out of here" Adam would never forget that smile. It invoked something. It powered him with a rage he didn't even know he had. "So yeah I snapped like a reasonable person would do. I almost beat him to death. But I get fucking chastised for it. You have ONE incident and everyone judges you for the rest of your life," Adam stated. "They think you're a violent monster ready to snap!"

"Adam one incident can change everyone's life" Peter pointed out.

Adam laughed. "God I hate these sessions. I have no issues!"

"Adam" Peter said in a calming manner. "You were committed afterward"

"For like a week," Adam said defiantly.

"It was month" Peter corrected him. "You were there for a month. Trying to get help"

"And I'm fine!" Adam snapped. He took a deep breath. "I'm fine really. I was stressed. Work was stressful. Eve was stressful. So yeah I had a small breakdown but I'm good now. I'm good"