Chapter 8

Come on Adam!" Lute yelled at him. They were running on the outdoor track. Adam had agreed to start early in the morning to get a routine going and to enjoy the cool air.

"I'm trying" he huffed. He ran ahead of her. Happy for the burst of energy. "I'm done!" he ran over the finish line and sat down.

"Good job" Lute sat next to him. She pulled out her stopwatch. "New record by the way congrats"

Adam smiled. "Thanks" he was so happy. He had been trying to beat the record. "So" he hadn't spoken to her in two days. "How's Lucifer doing?"

She shrugged. "Fine so far. It will take a second for those bars to kick in." Lute omitted the fact that he kept flirting with her. Something told Lute if she told Adam he would lose it.

"Has he mentioned Eve at all?" Adam asked. He kept thinking of her so much recently. Parts of him wanted her back.

Lute shook her head. "He's vague about his personal life. I think he wants to know me first before he dives into his life" Lute saw how he asked her questions about her life. If Lute asked questions he would spin the words around.

"Piece of shit" Adam hissed. "Anyway can we start weightlifting now?"

"You actually want to exercise who the hell are you?" she looked at him oddly. He had been so motivated lately.

Adam shrugged. "I just want to look good for future ladies I bring around"

"No one wants you" she joked. For some reason, it bothered her at the idea of Adam being with someone.

Adam lightly pushed her. "Leave me alone dangertits. No one wants you." he jeered back. His comebacks were not the best.

"Okay come on we better start" Lute stood. "I have someone after you"

The rest of the morning they worked out together. Adam was happy to have some normalcy back in his life. It was nice to have something to do during the day. "Do you want to get something for dinner?" Adam lifted up a weight.

"Sure" Lute watched Adam's arm. She liked how strong they were. "No TGI though"

Adam rolled his eyes. "Ugh fine" he lifted the weight. "What about Applebees"

"Why would we eat there when I have a working microwave" Lute told him. She liked hanging out with Adam but that man only knew about chain restaurants.

"They have a killer happy hour," Adam told her. "We can get drunk and stalk I mean walk around" he didn't want anyone to know about him and Lute's activities. "I can pick you up after work"

Lute nodded. "Sounds good. Can I stay at your place again? I don't wanna be alone drunk" She slept so well when he was around.

"Works for me" Adam set down the weight. Happy she wanted to be around him some more.
---
Adam drove back from the gym. His car's gas gauge was low. It was time to get some gas. He sighed. Annoyed he had to go out of his way to get gas. He found the nearest gas station and went to fill up his Mustang. As he finished up and sat back into his car his phone beeped.

He looked at his phone and saw he had a notification.

You have an overdraft fee of $30.

"The fuck!" Adam clutched his phone. He knew there was no way in hell he was broke. He opened up the app. However, the app was glitching and closed every time he tried to open it. He took a deep breath. He was going to have to go to his former place of employment. Fourth Circle Bank.

Adam sat in his car and looked at the wretched place that he once worked at. He could just get in and get out. It did not need to be a whole thing. He kept his breathing even like Peter recommended. He stepped outside the car and walked into the bank. As he walked in he saw his former co-workers shrink away in fear. One person even held their pepper spray. He didn't blame them. He had an explosive last day.