Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Saturday August 17 2013

"We are going to throw a party!" Krista exclaims. She is lying on my bed holding her hands out in front of her inspecting her nails. Hannah sits beside her flipping aimlessly through a magazine. They got here, as expected, as I was sleeping and I woke up to them munching on leftover cake and searching through my closet.

"What," I ask. I can't believe she wants to the thought doesn't even comprehend at first. "Have you met my mother?" I ask

"Yeah I have met her. Your mom is lovely," she says. I choke on my spit. My mom is lovely? Okay I love her to death but if strict and overbearing is lovely I can't imagine what she must think someone who is actually nice is.

"It will be the best party this summer." Hannah joins in. I really hoped that Hannah wouldn't agree with Krista, now it would be two against one and they would never let it go.

"I can't my parents aren't here and they won't allow a party." I say trying to change their minds. It's true though even if my parents were in town they would still never allow the party. I had to convince them to let me have birthday parties when I was eight because my mom thought that one of my friends might bring drugs. What kind of eight year old has drugs?

"That's why we don't tell them. It's so perfect they are gone for an entire week!" Krista pulls nail polish put of her bag. "What colour?" I roll my eyes at her. What was perfect about this people would be talking about it all the time and somehow my mom would find out. She made sure she talked to most of the parents from my school so she would know everything that was going on. There was no way I was getting away with this.

"Neon pink definitely it will go great with your tan," Hannah starts looking at nail polish too. I cannot believe how easily they are distracted just wave something sparkly or neon and they will forget completely about whatever they were doing before.

"Not tell them we're having a party? They will find out, I'm not even allowed to stay overnight at my cabin." My mom's rules state that the only place I can sleep is at home so even if we just went out to the cabin for a night it would be against my rules.

"What?" Krista asks, looking up from her nail polish.

"There are no people there so my parents think it will be unsafe," I explain. My parents believe everything is unsafe unless they are standing beside me.

"That is so stupid I mean isn't it better you he in a place with no people so nothing happens to you than to be with like a thousand people?" I completely agree with the, our cabin is so out of the way no one even comes there unless they have a cabin and let's be honest fifty percent of the people with cabins are over fifty so I'm pretty sure I could take them on.

"My parents are over protective that's why I have a curfew of 7:00." I still don't understand why my curfew is that early, it hasn't been that early since I was six.

"That's just harsh I mean obviously you are going to break the rules if they are so confining." Krista says, her parents aren't around much they travel all the time for work so she had no rules. Krista has been living by herself for so long she doesn't understand the concept of rules.

"Don't you work past seven anyway?" Hannah asks, her parents are around but are pretty chill about rules since she is the fifth of seven children.

"I am allowed to be put past seven but only for work." It's ridicules how their rules contradict themselves. Actually at first they wanted me to book the whole week off so I wouldn't be out past curfew. I even had to bargain to get my curfew to be seven o' clock.

"That is so sad," Krista started applying nail polish to her toes.

"But your parents are so far away it doesn't matter so about the party," Hannah says.

"No party," I said.

"Fine we will call it a gathering." I sighed there was no way Krista or Hannah would listen to me.

*********

Somehow Hannah Krista and I all end up at the mall later that day. I hope that all the thoughts of the party will be forgotten but at the third store Krista brings it up again.

"So what are you going to wear to the gathering?" Krista asks as she holds up a bathing suit top to herself. I look up shocked I had hoped she wouldn't bring it up again.

"There is no gathering," I say.

"Not yet but there will be and it will rock your world," Krista says holding a different top to herself before putting it in the pile on her arm and grabbing another bathing suit top to look at. I roll my eyes at her shopping behaviour. She is always like this since her parents are always leaving her alone they try to make it up to her by filling her bank account with more money than any girl could possibly spend. Well any girl but Krista, somehow she manages to blow through her 'allowance' in one shopping trip.

Currently we are in one of the most expensive stores at the mall, as I sort through the clothes and reject them all due to their high prices Krista and Hannah act as if everything is on sale. Both have huge piles of Forbes to try on piles on their arms. The sales lady has already made three trips to fill a started dressing room with what they have picked out. We are barely halfway through the store.

"Did you hear Max and Linda broke up?" Krista asks looking up from the clothes rack.

"No way! really?" Hannah says almost dropping he spike of clothes. Max and Linda have been together for almost three years so them breaking up is huge. They were that couple that everyone thought would go and get married and have ten kids and live happily ever after.

"Yeah apparently Max cheated on her," Krista says. "I need thought he would be one of those guys they always seemed so cute and happy together."

"They totally were, I dot think I ever saw them apart," Hannah says. "What a jerk that is so horrible!"

I nod my head along to their conversation. I agree cheating is bad but sometimes it just happens or you're really drunk it's not always your fault. Okay I guess it is but mistakes happen. I know I shouldn't be defending Max, I never thought he would cheat but I would so much rather break up with a guy and be able to hate him than still think he is a great guy and I'm the problem in the relationship. At least if the guy cheats on you you have closure. If the guy just randomly breaks up with you with those 'its not you it's me' lines I would be way more broken up than if he cheated.

"Liz! Liz!" Krista says hitting me over the head.

"What," I yell rubbing my head. "That hurt!"

"Were you even listening to me? Linda says if she ever finds out who slept with Max she is actually going to use the gun her dad bought her for her." Krista says.

"I would totally do that if someone cheated on me," Hannah says. "I just didn't think he would do that, it's so sad."

Hannah and Krista continue to gossip about all the break ups and hook ups of the summer. I zone out lost in my own thoughts. I was never one to gossip much. I found it disturbing when people talked about me acting like they knew all about my life. Not everything was cut clear, sometimes there was a valid reason for what people did. No one should assume the whole story from one thing. No one should judge on just one mistake. One mistake can change everything and sometimes it's just one stupid thing. No, no one should judge you on just one stupid mistake. That one can change everything.

**********************

Alright so I realize it this story starts off pretty slow but it will get much better in the coming chapters when things start to go downhill. 

thanks for reading

xoxo

-M