Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I stand in the hallway watching Dexter run away from me, he doesn't look back. He runs a hand through his short hair, but it barely moves with his touch. He stops outside of a classroom door and waits until Hannah comes out. He kisses her on the cheek and swings an arm over her shoulder. She laughed at something that he says. I stand in the hallway with people streaming around me. My eyes stayed glued to Dexter and Hannah as they walk away from me. His arm still around her shoulders, her arm hugging him close to her side. Even after they turn a corner and I can no longer see them I find my eyes still glued to where they used to be. Teenagers walk around the corner laughing and talking to each other. They play around as if they have no care in the world. They stream past the corner and around me. Not even noticing the girl who is stopped dead in the middle of the hallway. Frozen. Eyes glued to the wall at the end of the hallway.

That's when I finally crack. I push myself through the hallway bumping into people. I can feel hot tears streaming down my face. I start to run as I make my way through the crowd. I feel people watching me their eyebrows drawn together as they watch the girl pushing her way through the bodies of kids. I run until I reach the parking lot. I search for my car through blurry eyes. When I finally find it I get in and drive. I am a sobbing mess as I make my way out onto the main road. I can barely see and realize I probably shouldn't be driving in this state. But it doesn't matter. The rush hour traffic is so slow and it's not helping my mental state that I can't even drive. I slam my hand down on the horn. I know that it won't do anything but it helps when I hear the loud sound. Eventually I make it out to the highway. I push my foot all the way to ground and my car accelerates. I turn on the radio and crank the music. My phone beside me starts to ring and Dexter's name pops up on my phone. I ignore the call and he immediately starts calling me again. Then he texts me. I grab my phone and turn it off. I throw it into the backseat where it won't bother me.

Driving fast and listening to loud music is one of the greatest therapies ever. By time I reach my destination I am no longer crying. I can feel my cheeks sticky with tears though and my eyes itch from crying my eyes dry. I grab the acceptance form out of my car and start to run. My hands grip the form tightly and it crinkles in my hand.

I take in the familiar surroundings as I run. I kick my shoes off my feet so I'm running barefoot. The trees around me are still in full bloom. Nature hasn't realized that it's fall yet. I see the lake in front of me. I put the form down on the beach and start to the end of the pier. I pull off my shirt and shorts and dive into the water. The lake is still warm from the summer and I swim underwater for as long as I can. I eventually resurface and begin to tread water where I am. I stay in the water for a while allowing the water to take away all my stress. I climb out of the water and go to the shore to collect my stuff. I grab my form and climb the ladder to the townhouse. Once inside I grab a towel and dry off before sitting down.

Opening the acceptance package I pull out the first page of paper.

Dear Elizabeth,

It is our great pleasure to inform you that your application for the Donna Chin scholarship has been accepted. Enclosed in this package is a confirmation package should you chose to accept this scholarship. Please fill out all the forms with the correct information and fax them to Kathrine Douglas immediately. You will be expected to start on September 8. Please have all of your papers in order by the sixth. We will make sure you have an airplane ticket and a correspondent to meet you. If you have any further questions please contact Kathrine Douglas.

I throw the letter to the side and pull out the next page. It's a summary of my housing arrangements for the next year. The next page is a timetable. Finally a page that requires all of my information. I find a pen on the ground and begin to fill it out.