The Killing Question (Updated)

HAPPY HARBOUR - May 25th

7:00PM

When Desmond finally awoke, he was aware of three things:

One, his body felt restless, with an unrelenting rumbling of his stomach and dry throat to boot. Two, complete sluggishness, despite his knowing that he had been dead to the world too many times for one day. And Three, the completely shirt-soaking, spine-chilling realization that he had been kidnapped. His first thought was to play Mary-Sue and flail around screaming for help, hoping that someone would hear his cries. But instead, he opted for the safer (and much less demeaning) option f assessing where he was.

"Skin..." he thought to himself, diverting his focus towards his sense of touch. "Tingly, but also goosebump-y..."

He was no expert at this sort of stuff, but he could surmise from this sensation that he was somewhere cold, or away from the sun and surrounded by electronics.

"Hearing..." he thought again. "Nothing...but small vibrations here and there..."

Again, it was hard to tell from lack of experience on this and the vibration from the electronics, but pairing that with the cold and the echoing of his whispers meant that he had to be in an enclosed space.

"Okay. I'm definitely in a cave...or a cavern or something..."

Finally, what he could see. But when he opened his eyes, he realised that it wasn't the darkness of his eyelids, but the darkness of the room that was hindering his deductions.

"Is there a light around here-?" he muttered, but was cut off when he leaned forward. When he pulled himself up from the coarse sheets beneath him, a blunt pain shot up along his neck to his temples.

"OW!" he exclaimed. "What the he-?!"

He moved his hand to the back of his head, moving his hands fingers through the small, curled mess of hair at the base of his head until he felt a thin, metal cable that stretched down his nape. His fingers followed the cable upwards, sliding along it's plastic surface until he reached a metal, disk-like object around his temples and forehead.

A headset. Or at least some kind of blindfold, a realization that sent a chill down Desmond's spine.

"Oh god..." he thought worriedly. "Please don't let this be some kind of Fifty Shades thing..."

If he could just get the visor off-

"Don't." a gruff voice ordered.

The voice was not all that frighteneing, but Desmond still jolted. He followed the voice to it's point of origin and he didn't need to know that someone had spoke in order to feel that menacing, authoritarian aura before him...

"Who's there?!" Desmond asked. He knew it was a stupid question to ask when someone had already gone to so much trouble to blindfold you, but the question had been nagging at him regardless.

"Someone who doesn't mean you any harm." the voice replied. "Unless you mean it towards me..."

Desmond's heart froze until he opened his mouth again. "Uh...look. I'm not sure if you've noticed...but I'm stuck to a bed with a blindfold on...I'm not sure how much trouble I could cause you..."

He was trying to use humour to lighten the situation, but the voice didn't respond, not even with a small chuckle. He was about to ask another question when he suddenly heard a small beeping in the air to his left.

"Desmond Snyder." the voice began. "Fifteen years old, born on July 10th 1995. Honour student at Gotham Academy until you transferred to Happy Harbour High School in October 2009."