Clipped Wings

MOUNT JUSTICE - August 21st

10:46PM

(HEY GUYS!! :D Don't forget to check out Macy_Lazy's new superhero fanfic: "The First Supergirl"! An interesting, fresh new twist on the Supergirl origins! :D)

"No..." Connor muttered defiantly.

The whole team looked at him with shock.

"We're not going to sit by and just do nothing and wait for Desmond to kill us..."

The whole Team understood the truth behind his words, but the sadness in their eyes didn't.

"What can we do?" Artemis asked sadly. "Desmond has a strategy on how to stop the whole League. We'd just be serving ourselves up..."

Connor marched towards Superman, who also looked unconvinced.

"Then we make a counter-strategy." he said firmly.

He looked towards Dick.

"You know what was in those plans, so let's find a way to go around them."

Dick sighed, as if his body was rejecting Connor's confidence.

"I don't know what was in them, per se..." he admitted. "All I know was the stages they would have to enacted in and that they contained the weaknesses of the League, not what the weaknesses actually were..."

"Stages?" Superman asked.

Dick nodded.

"Yeah, Batman said that if the whole League went rogue, then some heroes would have to be taken out sooner than the others..."

He rested his finger along his chin.

"He knew that Manhunter would have to be taken out first, because of his numerous telepathic abilities. If he wasn't, then he could alert the rest of the League about what was going on..."

"Who was next?" Superman asked.

Dick put his face in his hands, desperately searching his memories.

"Uh...He said that there was a powerful member that would get involved if things became too chaotic and if too many League members go killed...All I remember was him saying that the Nth Metal would be the next priority..."

Superman's eyes went wide.

"Hawkman and Hawkwoman!!" he exclaimed.

He looked at Wonder Woman with a panic.

"Alert them!!" he ordered. "Tell them that Desmond is coming after them next!!"

She nodded and quickly ran to the Zeta-Tubes, with Superman following.

"You stay right here until I call you!" he ordered. "Do not leave this cave until I do, understand?"

They all nodded as Superman disappeared into the Tube's yellow light.

Wally looked at Connor, who was clenching his fists.

"We're not staying put, are we?" Wally asked him.

Connor marched towards the hangar.

"Hell no."

CAPE CANAVERAL - August 21st

11:53PM

Hawkman and Hawkwoman were out flying along the coastline of Florida, on a routine patrol from what the Justice League knew, but mostly just for a night to themselves.

All this business with Desmond's betrayal and the deaths of Batman and Martian Manhunter had become quite stressful and also took from their time with each other.

Hawkman flew closer and stroked his hand over Hawkwoman's helmet, who smiled warmly at him.

"Forgive me, Katar..." she said. "I have been too melancholic of late..."

Hawkman smiled at her, not being able to hold anything against his wife.

"There is nothing to apologise for, Shayera." he told her. "We have lost two of our closest comrades."

She looked away and nodded sadly.

"I am still bewildered by the fact that such a kind child could commit such an atrocity..."

Hawkman looked her in the eye.

"Do not dwell on that, Shayera..." he advised. "He is no longer the boy we knew..."

Hawkwoman still didn't look convinced.

"I know, but..."

He put a muscular, but gentle hand to her cheek.

"Do not worry, my beloved..." he told her. "This business with that turncoat will be over soon..."

"Sooner than you think..." a voice said behind them.

Hawkman immediately spun around, but was met with a fist that slammed into his ribs and tore through his metal wings like they were paper.

Hawkman grunted in pain and, losing his ability to fly, began to plummet onto the hills below them.

"KATAR!!" Hawkwoman screamed.

Completely neglecting Desmond, she flew down after him with her hand outstretched.

She caught him, but they both hit the ground and left a large trail of soil and torn grass with their impact.

Her arm shooting with pain, she slowly pulled herself off Hawkman with a loud groan.

Hawkman got up after her, holding his side with a pained grunt.

"He...He broke my...ribs..." he panted.

Hawkwoman looked at him worriedly, but turned her gaze to Desmond, who was slowly descending to the ground, a vicious smile growing across his face.

"What cute lovebirds you two are..." he noted. "Shame I'm going to have to clip your wings..."

She scowled at him and pressed a finger to the communicator in her ear.

"Hawkwoman to Watchtower!" she yelled.

But there was nothing but static.

"Sorry, Shayera..." Desmond said. "I took the liberty of putting up a communications blocker. No reception from here to Jacksonville..."

She growled with defeat.

"Now why don't you be a good girl and I promise I'll make this quick?"

Hawkwoman took a step back, drawing her mace as she weighed her options.

She could try and fly to Jacksonville with Hawkman, but his weight and injury would slow them down. She could try to fight Desmond, but that would leave Hawkman unprotected and if Desmond got to him, he would use him as a hostage.

And if she gave up, he would just kill them anyway.

She began to pant worriedly, her heart pounding with fear.

There was no way out...

Hawkman and Hawkwoman are trapped!! :o
Will they be the next Justice League Members to be fall to Desmond?!
Will Desmond be able to complete Phase Two of the Mimic Contingency this easily?!

Find out in the next chapter! :D
Be sure to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and comment your feedback! :D
What do YOU think Desmond wants the Nth Metal for?

- Kai-Shiro :D