Date With Desmond

MOUNT JUSTICE - August 29th

5:14PM

As soon as the Team got back to Mount Justice, they activated all the holographic screens in the Mission Room, trying to figure out what 'Abbe Faria' meant.

"Any luck finding anything?" Zatanna asked Wally, who was tapping away on a projection.

"No, I'm sorry..." Wally sighed. "It's all the same stuff..."

Some more projections of caricatures, 19th century-style pictures, book covers and actors plastered all over them.

"Abbe Faria, character in Alexander Dumas' 'Count of Monte Cristo'...Helped a guy out of prison...Also called the Mad Priest...yadda yadda yadda..."

Zatanna looked down in anxiety.

"I HATE having to read old books..." Wally shuddered.

Zatanna gave him a look of confusion.

"Hey, come on!" he exclaimed. "I'm a science geek, not a bookworm!"

Zatanna rolled her eyes as the others came down the hall.

"Annnndddd NOTHING." Artemis groaned. "Absolutely NO clues..."

She put her hands on her hips, annoyance flooding her face.

"We tried people, places even some freaking PARTIES! And still no other hint!"

Zatanna put her head into her hands, worry flooding her body.

"Hey..." Dick assured her, rubbing his hands along her arms. "We'll find something..."

"Either that, or Desmond was just messing with us." Connor muttered under his breath.

Megan scowled at him and nudged his chest with her elbow.

"What?" he complained. "He's been screwing around with us since this whole thing started!"

"Connor..." Kaldur warned. "Stop it."

Connor folded his arms with an angry look on his face. He clearly had a massive axe to grind with Desmond.

"Let us just all go and sleep on this information..." Kaldur said to them. "We are getting too wound up to discuss this in a civil way..."

All the Team nodded and began to walk off, until someone's phone rang.

Zatanna stopped abruptly and reached into her skirt pocket, tugging and pushing at the fabric until her fingertips met her buzzing phone.

She flipped the lid and put it to her ear.

"Hello?" she asked into it. "Is that you, Dad?"

"Hello Zatanna..." a voice answered.

Her eyes went wide with shock, barely suppressing a gasp.

That wasn't her father's voice...

"Don't react."  Desmond warned her.

She fought the overwhelming urge to tell the Team that Desmond was on the phone, but bit her lip and played along.

"Hello Superman..." she said convincingly. "How has your recovery been going? We haven't seen you in a while..."

Desmond chuckled. His laugh sounded even more loathsome when it was muddled by static.

"I'm going to guess that you've been hearing some pretty nasty rumors about me recently? Rumors about heroes being slaughtered left and right?"

She went quiet for a moment, but quickly replied when the Team looked at her quizzically.

"Yes, Superman...I have..."

"Well in that case," Desmond said. "I think it's time I cleared the air on a few things."

Then he asked her the question that she was not expecting at all.

"Are you free tonight?"

Her heart froze. Was he asking her out?!

"No, Superman." she said firmly. "I'm not sure if I can make it to the Watchtower just yet..."

Desmond made a mock groan.

"Oh, come on...I'll pay?"

Zatanna bit her lip even harder. He wasn't going to back down...

"I'll be there soon..." she caved.

"Wonderful!" Desmond chuckled. "I'll see you at the Restaurant D'if. Seven thirty!"

She growled slightly, almost giving herself away to the Team.

"Can't wait..."

"But..."He suddenly sighed. "If you insist on bringing the Young Justice with you, just make sure they don't make a scene and that Connor and Wally bring their table manners. OK?"

"Yes..." she replied.

"See you then..."

And then he hung up.

Zatanna looked at the Team, who despite her acting, still seemed anxious.

She needed to think of something fast.

"That was Superman..." she said quickly. "He said that there have been reports of someone matching Desmond's description in Alaska."

They looked at her with confusion.

"Alaska?!" Wally exclaimed. "That far away?!"

Zatanna nodded, trying to enforce her lie as best as possible.

"He wants you guys to check it out and for me to go and report back to him at the Watchtower..."

Dick didn't look convinced.

"Are you s-"

"Yes!" she snapped. "I'm sure. Superman himself said so.."

Dick was taken aback for a bit, but then nodded and turned to face everyone else.

"Alright guys!" he told them. "Suit up!"

They all nodded and ran down the hallway to their rooms, leaving Zatanna where she stood, her heart beating incredibly fast.

"That was close..." she said with a heavy sigh.

She knew that what she was doing was betraying the Team's trust, but she had her own reasons. She needed to talk with Desmond herself and she wouldn't be able to do that with Connor wanting to tear Desmond apart. 

She had to go there, find out what Desmond wanted, get some answers if she could and then leave as fast as possible!

She told herself this over and over until the words nearly lost all meaning, but a small part of her couldn't help but wonder:

Was there another reason that she was doing this..?

She shook the thought aside and started towards her room.

She had a date to go to...

Desmond asks Zatanna out?!
She goes willingly and without back-up?!
Will she find out what Desmond and her father agreed upon?
Will Desmond tell her the truth?

Find out in the next chapter! :D Be sure to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and comment your thoughts and feedback! :D
What do YOU think Desmond wants to talk to her about?
Do YOU ship Desmond and Zatanna? XD 

- Kai-Shiro :D