A Super Gamble

METROPOLIS - November 12th

9:30

The building across from the Daily Planet lost it's whole top floor as Superman was thrown through it, AMAZO cackling madly with Ivo's voice. Clearly Ivo was using the android as a microphone since he was too cowardly to face the heroes himself.
"What's the matter, Superman?" Ivo/AMAZO snickered as it hovered outside the building. "Not feeling like your usual, super powered self?"
Superman grunted and got onto his hands, wiping some loose plaster dust from his cheekbone.
"Don't tell me you're going to surrender now?" Ivo's voice scoffed. "I need more time with you if I'm going to test my latest android..."
AMAZO hovered down to where Superman was thrown, but it was quickly tackled into the building across from them by the Flashes who sped up along the side of the building and slammed into AMAZO's torso.
AMAZO flew back and was embedded in the building's dull orange exterior. It was about to pull itself out, but Kid Flash leapt at it's face and began pounding away at it viciously, sending strips of artificial skin coming off it.
"I might not be able to beat the crap outta Desmond..!" Kid Flash yelled at it. "So you'll have to do!!!"
Eventually, he had beaten AMAZO's face so hard, the skin had come off and Desmond's visage was replaced by a metallic, emotionless face, which suddenly flew forward and head-butted Kid Flash in the face, sending him hurtling to the ground.
Luckily, Flash was able to rebound off of the building and catch Kid Flash mid-fall, but the two were intercepted and swatted away by AMAZO with a single swing.
They didn't fall very far, but Flash left a dent on top of a parked car and destroyed a glowing streetlight, sending a shower of sparks along the sidewalk.
"You OK, Uncle Barry..?" Kid Flash groaned. 
Flash didn't say anything, but his groan of discomfort and slow nod was enough of a response.
The two peeled themselves off of the car, just in time to see AMAZO land in front of them. Flash quickly pushed himself and Kid Flash apart, right before AMAZO's mechanical fist cleaved the car under them in half, the smell of hot metal filling the air.
The two speedsters quickly tried to get away, but AMAZO's arms suddenly began to click, extending themselves like tentacles and lashing themselves around their torsos.
"You're no Supermen..." Ivo's voice said coldly. "But you'll do for now..."
AMAZO's tentacle like hands began to tighten, constricting their waists and throats. They couldn't breathe!!
"HEY!!" a female voice yelled out behind AMAZO.
AMAZO spun around as Artemis shot an arrow that lodged itself near the android's armpit.
Before it could be pulled out, the arrow exploded, blowing off AMAZO's left arm, just in time for Superman to appear to take the Flashes to safety and to begin beating down AMAZO quickly.
The beating was fierce and unrelenting, until AMAZO's middle panel gave way and inside it-
A Kryptonite panel.
As soon as his eyes fell onto that menacing green glow, Superman's whole body became wracked with pain, falling to the ground as AMAZO laughed.
"I couldn't have you tearing up my dear android before I got to see it's results, could I Superman?"
Before Superman could say another word, AMAZO kicked him square in the chest, sending him flying through another two more buildings.
Flash saw his chance and flew at AMAZO, but AMAZO simply caught him and threw him back at Kid Flash and Artemis. The resulting speed and AMAZO's power sent a large shower of energy through the air, knocking them almost completely unconscious.
"Now, you die..." Ivo laughed.

9:50PM 
The battle raged above the surface, with Robin listening intently to every strike or surge of power that exploded in the air. He wanted to help, but he couldn't leave Zatanna, not when she was like this.
She looked so sad.
It had been more than half an hour and she still sat on her knees, holding Desmond in her arms, the tears welling more in her eyes as she stared at Desmond's face.
There was a loud bang above them when Robin moved towards her, trying to find a way to delicately pull the two apart.
"Zatanna..." he was almost afraid to say her name. "We need to go..."
She was silent.
"There's nothing we can do..."
She was still silent. If it was any quieter, her tears falling onto Desmond would be completely deafening.
Robin got up, realising that Zatanna wouldn't be able to help like this. He picked up his equipment and began to walk off...
"...Don't bring me back..." Zatanna suddenly said.
Robin spun around. Her voice was almost a whisper, but the silence was so heavy that it startled him.
"What?" he asked.
"Desmond said...Don't bring me back...Why would he say that..?"
Robin shrugged.
"It's not unusual for people to say weird stuff before they die, Zatanna." he told her. 
"But he knew..." she replied. "He knew that he was going to die...Why say such an impossible thing?"
Then her eyes fell on his utility belt, which laid on the ground.
"Unless..."
Robin suddenly realised what she was talking about, but it was too late.
Zatanna bolted up and raced to the belt, with Robin hot on her heels.
"Zatanna!" he yelled. 
He vaulted over her, catching one end of the belt just as she grabbed it's circular buckle.
"Zatanna, DON'T!!" he ordered. "You heard what he said!! If he comes back, he has to complete the Contingency!!"
Zatanna understood that, but still wouldn't listen.
"It's chaos up there, Robin!!" she yelled. "Superman, Wally, Artemis, the Flash! They're all getting beaten! Desmond can stand against AMAZO!!"
She pulled the belt back in her direction.
"He can save them!"
"Until he has to kill them!" Robin scowled.
Her eyes suddenly flashed, sending a wave that knocked Robin off of his feet.
"That's a risk we have to take!" she said angrily. "If we don't do something, the Team dies anyway!"
Robin couldn't argue with that.
"We can at least try to convince him..."
Robin sighed, inclining his head for her to go and do what she needs to do. 
When Zatanna ran over to Desmond's body, she rummaged through the belt until she found one of the Superman Protein spheres that Batman made when Desmond had trouble copying multiple powers.
"If I can give this capsule the right amount of energy charge, I can use the Kryptonian DNA within it to re-fuel Desmond's DNA..."
Robin was impressed by her logic, but realised there was one problem.
"But if you do that..." he began.
Zatanna sighed.
"Superman's powers will be grafted into his cells along with the powers he already has..."
This was a huge gamble. Desmond could wake up and beat AMAZO easily with that DNA, but if he turned against them, then he would be even more powerful. The Kryptonite that affects Kryptonian DNA wouldn't even faze him. It would be like fighting another Superman.
"What should I do..?" Zatanna asked herself.
"Do it." Robin ordered.
Zatanna was shocked at his suggestion, but realised that it was a risk they had to take. Focusing her magic energy onto the capsule, she sent a surge of power through it, before opening Desmond's mouth.
But Robin appeared behind her, gently placing his hand onto her shoulder.
"I'll do it..." Robin told her. "When you went against the Team and met Desmond, you made a great personal risk. If he goes bad, I don't want that on you..."
Zatanna nodded hesitantly, allowing Robin to take the capsule from her hand.
With a sharp intake of breath, Robin held the capsule near Desmond's mouth.
"Here goes nothing..." he said.
Then he dropped it into Desmond's mouth, sending a surge of yellow light all around the tunnel.
They were hopeful for a moment, but the light suddenly burned out, the tunnels becoming empty once again.
But before disappointment could fester within them, Desmond's eyes flashed open.

Desmond has awoken!
With new powers permanently grafted into his DNA, will he be a greater threat to the Team?
Or will the bane of the Justice League have a sudden change of heart?

Find out in the next chapter! :D
 With only a few more chapters to go until the conclusion of "Young Justice: The Mimic Contingency", how will this story reach it's thrilling conclusion!? :D
Be sure to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and comment your thoughts and feedback so far :D How do YOU want the story to end?

- Kai-Shiro :D