Breakout

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION - November 5th

12:07PM

This current meeting between the Light members and Desmond was much less tense than the previous one. So much so, the members looked like they were about to blow up balloons and don party hats.
"It looks like we were wrong to doubt you, boy." Ra's chuckled. "You promised us that the Justice league would fall to you within a month, but in not even half of that time, you have killed all but two!

"In another life," Luthor chuckled. "You would have made an excellent businessman, Desmond."

Klarion snickered as he petted Teekl contently.
"You got that annoying Nabu out of the way too...I might even be willing to forgive you for what you did to me in New Orleans..."

But despite all this praise and rejoicing, Desmond sat at the end of the table quietly, gently tapping his finger along the pale desk, the light in the room illuminating the small bags under his eyes.

"What is the matter, mi ami?" The Brain asked. "You have written history! C'est magnifique!!"
Desmond didn't look up from the table in front of him.

The Light were happy of course that the Justice League was all but defeated, Desmond was too, but he took no joy in the fact that Miss Martian, one of his dearest and only friends, had just become a casualty in his crusade.

She had been the only one to try and help him out, to try and show him that not all the League and Young Justice members thought he was a traitor, and how did he repay her? By mercilessly beating her, and running his hand through her chest right in front of all of her friends.

"This is your test." the darker part of his conscious said. "Your test to see if you are truly capable of bringing the League to it's knees!"

Desmond wanted to believe that voice, but another part of his conscious spoke even louder.

"And what the Team?! Do they see this as a test at all?! What about Zatanna? She was willing to forgive you! Or did her feelings really mean nothing to you?!"

Zatanna...

The gentle caress of her lips lingered on his mouth just like the guilt lingered within his heart. How could he had told her that he loved her and then make her watch her friend die?! To let he go back and be scorned by her friends?!

"Don't tell me you are having second thoughts." Sportsmaster scoffed. "You're way too close to completing your mission to chicken out now, kid."

Desmond glared at Sportsmaster and stood up.

"No." he said firmly. "I haven't given up yet. The Mimic Contingency will be complete, I just need to make some more plans to beat the remaining Justice League members and how to deal with those current circumstances..."

Queen Bee scoffed.

"You mean that alien girl you murdered?"

Desmond looked back at her, almost defensively.

"Her name was Miss Martian." he said through clenched teeth.

Bee rolled her turquoise eyes with annoyance.

"Since when did you start referring to these brats by their names?" she challenged. "I concur with Sportsmaster, don't tell me you're going soft?"

"This girl," Desmond began. "Was one of the only members who didn't betray me, who helped me understand my powers when the League saw me as a destructive, pitiful weapon. They may be irritants, but there were those I should show some gratitude towards."