A Mission With Zatanna

MOUNT JUSTICE - August 1st

7:00PM 

Batman stood contently in the center of the Mission Room, like a servant awaiting his master's arrival.

Holographic screens and images floated aimlessly around his head as a girl stood next to him, asking him questions. A girl that Desmond recognised immediately:

Zatanna! 

"Please let the mission be with her. Please let the mission be with her..." Desmond thought hopefully.

As if he could read Desmond's mind, Batman held out his hand toward the girl.

"Desmond." he told him calmly. "Zatanna will be your partner for this mission."

Desmond was tempted to do an air punch and hug Batman, but he was able to restrain himself, just as Batman cleared is throat and looked towards the screens.

"Over the past few weeks, we have been hearing reports of black-market dealings in New Orleans, specifically in several bayous."

"If you called Zatanna to be my mission partner, then I'm guessing that the items being dealt and the dealers themselves are Magic or supernatural related?"

"Then your guess is correct." Batman told him. "The items seem to be coming from a town voodoo practitioner, Dr. Reilicaf."

"Reilicaf?!" Zatanna exclaimed.

Desmond looked at her with confusion, but also with surprise that someone could remember such a stupid name.

"You know that guy?" Desmond asked.

Zatanna shook her head.

"No, but my dad did. He's been doing stuff like this for years, but he either disappears before he can be caught, or he uses his connections and gets away with his crimes."

"Well he's not getting away this time." Desmond told her firmly.

She sighed.

"He may look like a clown," she warned. "But his Magic abilities aren't to be take lightly..."

Desmond rolled his eyes.

"Where's the drop-off point?" Zatanna asked Batman.

"From the intel gathered by the Justice League, the dealings often take place around midnight."

Batman touched the screen and suddenly, three places on the map were covered with red circles.

"You'll be dropped off near the first area of interest, with enough time to investigate it. If your investigations do not yield anything, you will investigate the next area and then the next one if need be."

Desmond looked up.

"Wait, you mean we have to investigate all those areas?!"

Batman nodded as Desmond already began to feel exhausted.

Zatanna put a white gloved hand onto Desmond's shoulder.

"It will be fine, Desmond." she told him. "You can do it."

Desmond looked at her, feeling slightly encouraged and nodded as she began to walk off to the hanger.

"I'll be waiting by the Bio-Ship." Zatanna said to Desmond.

She then ran down the hallway, her coat tails and hair flying after her.

Without a moment's hesitation, Desmond spun around and looked at Batman with an ecstatic smile.

"Batman!" he said happily. "You are now officially my favorite Justice League memb-"

"Zatanna has a boyfriend." Batman interrupted.

Desmond's ecstatic smile vanished immediately.

"WHAT?!" he screamed out.

"Since New Years." Batman added.

"Why couldn't you have told me earlier?!" Desmond groaned.

Batman smirked, almost sadistically and started towards the Zeta Tubes.

"You have a mission to finish." he advised before disappearing into the golden light.

Desmond rolled his eyes and began walking to the ship, fuming and mumbling to himself.

NEW ORLEANS - August 1st

11:00PM

When they boarded the Bio-Ship, Desmond sat near the back of the ship and watched on with aggravation as Zatanna and Robin flirted with each other.

"Come on..." Robin laughed quietly. "It's just one dance at school..."

Zatanna made a girly giggle as she blushed.

"Dick, I can't...I have a test the day after..."

They both laughed and giggled, the whole area around them permeated in a sickening, lovey-dovey atmosphere.

"Are we there yet?" Desmond asked Miss Martian.

She shook her head.

"Not yet, but we're close..."

Desmond groaned quietly. How could DICK GRAYSON be Zatanna's BOYFRIEND?! Why didn't Dick tell him he had such a nice girlfriend?!

Miss Martian began to hum to herself happily.

"We're here..."

Desmond got up from his chair and put on his silver utility belt before pulling up his hood, just in time to see Zatanna give Robin a quick kiss on the corner of his lips.

"Be careful, OK?" Robin said to her as she threw her arms around his neck.

"I'll be OK," she giggled. "I have Desmond with me..."

She looked in Desmond's direction, but he was already jumping out of the cockpit and onto the marshes below them.

"Well, looks like someone has been hanging around Batman for too long..." Zatanna said to herself as she walked to the edge of the exit.

"You look after Zatanna during the mission, okay Desmond?!" Robin asked loudly through the exit.

"If you guys yell that loud again," Desmond remarked. "There won't be a mission for us to finish anyway!"

As the ship flew off, Desmond put on his mask and walked off into the bayou with Zatanna in tow...

The mission has barely started and Desmond is ALREADY friend-zoned! :o What will await the Mimic/Magician Duo (Official Group Name!!) when they find Dr. Reilicaf?
Will they be enough to put a stop to him?
Or is an even bigger player about to arrive on the scene..? 

Find out on the next chapter of 'Young Justice: The Mimic Contingency' coming out tomorrow! :D And as per usual, don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter and leave feedback etc if you wish :D

Thanks guys! 

-Kai-Shiro :D