Familiar Faces

"Wait. So you're telling me that you're taking the same course as me?"

"Yeah. The one for multimedia and graphics design right?"

"And you're a senior?"

"Yup."

I just couldn't believe it when she said that. I was so happy that I met one of my classmates before the classes officially started. There's the bonus that she's a Filipino, and another bonus that she's pretty. I just couldn't believe what was happening. It was too good to be true. It was as if the heavens wanted me to be happy after taking a long break.

"Wait. How come I never saw you before though?"

"Well, I'm just an exchange student, but it's also my final semester. I figured that it might be a good chance to study abroad so here I am."

"Oh I see," So she's just temporarily here, huh? "So how many days have you stayed here in Bangkok already?"

"A couple of weeks now actually."

"Nice. You staying somewhere close by?" I sound like a stalker now. Maybe I should stop.

"Yeah, actually I just live at the condo near the skytrain."

"That's good. You won't be late for classes." I have nothing to say now.

"Yeah. Say, you said you've been here for 12 years right? Why'd you stay? I mean, why not go back to the Philippines?"

It's good that she doesn't want to end the convo in awkward silence. "Well, to be honest, I like it better here. Of course, it's not like I never thought of going back, but every time I weigh the pros and cons of leaving, I just end up not wanting to leave at all. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah. I had the same dilemma when I was in the middle of deciding whether I just finish my studies in the States or here. But now, I think I made the right decision of travelling across the globe. Haha."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, first of all, I can try being independent. Second, I can get out and explore the world. And third, which just happened now, is meeting you, a Filipino friend."

"Haha. You're making me blush," I replied jokingly, but I would be lying if I say that my heart didn't skip a beat when she said that. She didn't mean that in a romantic way and I knew that it was just a one-side instant crush, but somehow, I was hopeful that it could grow into something more than that.

"Haha. I meant it. Anyways, I gotta go now Kyle. I got some visa matters to take care of. I'll just see you in class?" She was glowing in my vision as if I was seeing an angel that time. All I could think of was how fortunate I would be if I could spend the rest of her days in school together with her. Well, that was thinking too fast and too far ahead.

"Yeah. See you on Monday," I said, trying not to get too mesmerized by my daydream.

I got up as soon as I finished my coffee. She brought hers with her so there was nothing to clean except my cup. I wanted to go home because I was getting sleepy even after taking in some caffeine.

I was on my way out when I saw a couple of stupid familiar faces standing at the doorway.

"Kyle? . . . Kyle!" The stupid couple shouted in unison as they hugged me and pushed me back inside the shop.

"Hey Jonny. Hey San." Why are the two stooges here?

"Kyle! It's really you!" said Jonny. He was my junior whom I tutored 3D modeling when he was a sophomore.

"Kyle, we missed you. We thought we'll never see you again," cried San. She was a junior whom I used to help in painting class when she was a freshman.

The two of them were classmates from day one of their college life, until that time when they met me at the coffee shop. The first time they talked to each other was the day they came to me together to ask for help about their projects. They were freshmen when they first approached me. They became close after some time until I heard that they got into a relationship when they were sophomores. They never stopped bugging me since the day I first helped them. I almost totally regretted it.

I always called them stupid couple because they always come to me EVERY SINGLE TIME they have projects. And EVERY SINGLE TIME, they just go 'lovey-dovey' mode instead of doing some work. And EVERY SINGLE TIME, I need to scold them just to force them to do some work. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

"Where have you been Kyle?" Jonny asked.

"Stuff happened, but I'm back now."

"You're not leaving us again right?" San asked.

"No. I'm here to finish my studies for real."

"We've had a hard time without you here Master Kyle."

"Why is that, Slave Number 1?" They were also my slaves, in exchange for me helping them with their project. Number 1 is Jonny, 2 is San.

"Because we had to do our projects by ourselves."

"Huh?!" I wanted to get angry with them because of what he said, but I couldn't. It's been so long since I last saw them and I didn't want to ruin our little reunion by losing my temper so I just let it slide that time.

"By the way Master, they said that we need to do a short film as our final project. Senior projects differ each year. This time, they want us to form groups of at least 4-5 persons."

"Really? That's interesting."

"Yeah, now we only need at least one more member."

"What makes you think I would be in the same group as you?"

"Come on Captain Kyle. Do it for old time's sake."

These two slaves of mine actually call me the title I jokingly told them to call me. I told Jonny to call me Master, and San to call me Captain. Surprisingly, or not, they kept calling me like that.

"No, you're just gonna make me do all the work."

"How did you know that?"

"See?! I was testing you, and you failed."

"No. Please reconsider Master. We will let you choose the next member. Please."

"I already said that - wait, did you say I could choose the next member?"

"Yes. Anything for the Captain."

"Well. If you put it that way, then I guess I could be in the same group together with my two slaves." I already knew who I was going to pick to be in our group. I just agreed to be with them because I know I can be the leader, the project would be a success and I can control who does what.

"Does our Master have someone in mind already?"

"Well. Maybe. Anyways, when are you two going to stop hugging me?"

"We will never let go of our Master!"

"Yes! We will die hugging you Captain!"

"No! Let go."

It was not always fun being with that stupid couple, but I know I didn't regret being in the same group as them during the senior project. I even wished that those days never ended. Well, those were fun days.

I guess I could really have the chance to spend the rest of the semester with her, huh?

To be continued. . .