Riley

As one of the group leaders, I was expected to meet with Riley to give an update of what happened to our short film. The others are not required to join, and Riley doesn't like hearing details from different people so only one is required, and allowed.

I arrived early, considering Riley's attitude towards tardiness, and unsurprisingly, he was also at his office earlier than the agreed time.

"Kyle, long time no see. How's the senior project going?" Riley started.

"Yeah, I know. It's been a while since we last talked. And, well, yeah, our film's practically done," I replied.

"Well, that's good to hear. Looks like you haven't changed at all in your work ethics."

"Haha. I think I did though, I mean I became stricter considering that most of my groupmates rely solely on me."

"I would too if I was on your group. You're a genius in everything you do."

"Haha. I think that's stretching it too far."

"I mean it. You're the kind of student that would only exist once in every few years."

"I'm sure there are a lot like me."

"Maybe, but not in this school. Haha. Seriously, most students here are either just rich and lazy, or rich and stupid."

"I think you ought to lower your voice a bit in case someone hears you."

"No one cares. Besides, most teachers are in their class. I don't have one today."

"Wow, that's good. We can have a long discussion if there's a need to."

"I'm sure there's not much to discuss about your film since you are the leader."

"Well, about that. I'm not here only for that."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I'm also here to talk about something, wait, more like someone else."

"You mean Eve?" Riley just said her name as if he's not a bit suprised, then I blushed a bit.

"Well, yeah. I mean. Yeah, you know."

"Hahaha. Why are you becoming shy? Are you interested in her?"

"Well, I wouldn't ask about her if I'm not."

"Haha. Alright. Well, you can ask me any questions about her after we discuss about the short film."

"Alright. Deal."

Riley was a really cool teacher. He might be older by maybe a couple or more decades but he's someone who can adapt to different people. He can also keep up a conversation even when the other person is not really somebody he knows very well. He's probably the guy I want to be when I reach his age.

We talked about our short film He suggested that I add some elements that are animated. He also told me to reshoot some of the footage, since the acting wasn't convincing. My acting. It just goes to show that no one can be a talented in everything.

"So you must finish this by next month and then we talk again before we show it to the public," Riley said.

"Yeah, I don't think it will be hard," I replied. "Maybe we can even finish it after the long holiday."

"That's good. But, considering your attitude, you might even finish it during the holiday."

"We won't, cause we will be going somewhere."

"Your family?"

"My group."

"Wow Kyle, so you're really serious about Eve!"

"Hush! Please be quiet Ajarn (teacher). People are listening."

"Come on. It's not like they know who Eve is."

"Still."

"Don't be such a scaredy-cat. People don't know her cause she's an exchange student."

"Yeah, I know, and she'll be gone after this semester."

"So why are you still pursuing her?"

"I don't know it myself, Ajarn. I'm just. . . I'm just drawn to her. I can't explain it."

"So because of that, you're pursuing her? I don't think that's enough, Kyle."

"I know, but I'm serious about this. I'm not the playboy type you know."

"I know, you've never had a girlfriend before so I know you're not a player."

"See? That should be enough proof that I'm serious about this, right?"

"That's not the basis, Kyle. Listen, do you know the real reason why she's here?"

"To study?"

"Hmm. That answer just proves that you still know nothing about her."

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is if you're really serious about her, then you'll find out from Eve herself."

"That's just more confusing. Come on Ajarn, just tell me."

"I can't. Not now. But I'm warning you Kyle, if you're not serious then don't court her. She's already been hurt enough. And if you are, then you'll be the one who'll get hurt."

Riley's words puzzled me, but he didn't explain it. He just told me to go home and re-evaluate my feelings for Eve. I get that he's her guardian, so he's protecting her and just wants Eve to be safe. I get that but why would it come to a point that one of us is sure to get hurt?

I didn't understand at all. Well, not during that time, anyway. Riley wasn't just looking out for Eve when he gave me that warning. He was also looking out for me.

I kept thinking about it and I decided to go through with courting Eve during our trip. I made sure to let Riley know so I emailed him.

Me : I'm serious about this.
Riley : Are you serious enough that you're ready to get hurt?
Me : I am.
Riley : I hope you really are. . . . and I hope you make her happy.

With that, I'm as prepared as I can be for the trip. And now, the long holiday has come.

To be continued. . . .