Chapter 3

~~June 25, 2012 [MON] // 2:30 pm~~

That afternoon, the swing dancers were down to two pairs – Martin and Carol, and myself and Angel. It looked as though the four of us would be the only ones left dancing in our group on the twenty-ninth.

Already an hour and a half into practice, we sat down by the lockers of our deserted school (summer break was already announced to all students who did not have to take any final exams within the last couple of weeks of June). Noticing that Martin had pulled back with Angel on one side, I took the opportunity to sit next to Carol, who was a little away from our two other friends.

“Hi,” I said, slightly out of breath as I leaned against the lockers with her.

Carol glanced sideways at me, smiling openly. “Hi, Dante.”

“You forever alone or something?” I smirked at her, “Why are you sitting all by your lonesome?”

She stuck out her tongue playfully for a second. “Nuh-uh.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah,” Carol nodded, “Besides, it looks to me that Martin and Angel look happy to be by themselves over there.”

I glanced at Martin and Angel. They were talking quite genially – well, Martin was, at least. Smiling at his visible happiness at being with Angel, I gave a chuckle.

“Martin’s really enjoying himself, isn’t he?” Carol mused with a thoughtful smile, looking at the pair of them.

I looked at Carol, wondering if she also suspected Martin of having a crush on Angel. Carol herself seemed difficult to read at that moment. I could not sense her thoughts beyond the smile she wore and the distant expression on her face.

“Don’t want to join them?” I murmured, peering at her eyes.

She turned back to me. “I think they need the space…don’t you think?”

I stifled a laugh. “Most definitely.”

I still wasn’t sure if she could tell Martin had a thing for her best friend, but I decided to set thoughts about that aside and focus on ourselves for now.

“How have you been?” I began, hoping to change the topic seamlessly.

“Fine enough,” Carol answered, “Just a little sleepy, since I stayed up late last night. What about you?”

“I’m all right,” I said briskly, “I’m glad there are practices, really; beats being cooped up inside the house all the time.”

“Yep,” Carol said in agreement, “Same here. Do you usually dance?”

I laughed bashfully. “Err, no. Not really. I’m not much for dancing.”

“But you agreed to take part in it anyway?”

“I reckon it’d be fun.” I shrugged, smiling roguishly.

An impressed smile formed at Carol’s lips. “I’m glad to hear you’re trying new things, Dante.”

“Thanks.”

Carol gave a yawn, suddenly looking tired. “I’m so tired…”

I pulled on my earphones and held out one of the earpieces to her. “Here.”

“What?”

“Um, nothing. I just thought you’d like to listen to some music.”

“Sleepy music?” Carol said, half-joking.