Chapter 31

~~October 9, 2012 [TUE] // 12:07 pm ~~

o   Carol

I opened my locker and reached the top shelf for my lunch. Before I could shut my locker again, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

Taking it out, I unlocked the screen and read yet another message from one of my friends. This time, it was one from Ate Jess:

“aweeee Carolynn. :3 you never told me you liked Dante… Seriously, I’m so offended. :/ get over here now. You’ve got some explaining to do!”

Smiling, I allowed myself to internalize further that I wasn’t single anymore. It felt funny – I didn’t feel particularly new, but I was sure that today was new.

Finally closing my locker, I jumped a foot in the air at the sight of someone leaning sideways against the locker to the right of mine.

“Oh crap!” I put a hand to my chest, trying to calm my heart, “Don’t do that!”

“Oh, don’t mind me,” Dante said softly, putting up a vacant, easy going act of glancing around and running his hand through his hair absently.

“You’re such a dork,” I teased him affectionately, replacing my lock, “Don’t sneak up on me like that, creeper.”

Dante chuckled smoothly. “Sorry. I couldn’t resist.”

“Well, okay, if you want me to have a heart attack…”

He pressed against me from behind, his hands finding their way to my stomach.

“Aww, I’m sorry,” he said in a more apologetic tone, kissing me on the cheek, “It won’t happen again. Wouldn’t want my girlfriend to go through something like that.”

I felt heat racing up my neck and into my cheeks. I liked the way he kissed me. I also laughed at how he emphasized the word ‘girlfriend’; it was as though he really wanted to reinforce his affection toward me.

“All right, all right,” I giggled a bit as he cuddled me while we stood, “I’m starving, so let’s get going, boyfriend.”

He chuckled again into my ear and took my hand in his.

We headed over to the A3 hallway, where our friends usually sat for lunch, right by the chaplain’s office.

When we arrived, several heads turned in our direction. Most of them had smiles on their faces.

“Here comes the couple we’ve all been waiting for,” Jess announced gleefully from the corner.

There was a collection of laughter at this, which included mine and Dante’s.

“Come on, you two, sit over here,” Ate Caitleen scooted over closer to Jess to make space for me and Dante.

We sat down in such a way that I had Dante to my left and my best friend, Angel, sat to my right.

As soon as we were seated, Jess began bombarding us – well, me, mostly – with questions.

“So, Carol,” she began with a knowing smile while looking over at me, “fill us in.”

Taking out my lunch, I shook my head at her. “No can do. I’m so hungry.”

Ate Caitleen, Ate Jess, and Angel gave long, deliberate groans to show their impatience and dissatisfaction.

I opened my Tupperware and brought out my spoon and fork. “Seriously, guys… I’ll give you a blow-by-blow later, when I’m not about to die of starvation.”