Chapter 26

~~ October 1, 2012 [MON] // 3:45 pm ~~

o   Carol

At the end of the day, I was grabbing my jacket from my locker when someone came up beside me. Glancing sideways, I looked to see a familiar smirk.

“Well, hello there, creeper,” I smirked back at him.

Dante chuckled in amusement. “Hey.”

“Hi,” I said half-humorously, melting at the sight of his face.

“How was your day?” he asked me, crossing his arms over his chest while leaning sideways onto the locker beside mine.

“It was all right. Yours?”

“Monday blues,” Dante answered, shrugging, “But I guess it’s all good, ‘cause I get to see you again.”

I bit my lower lip, trying not to blush. “See me, huh?”

“Yeah, see you,” he said rather teasingly.

“Oh, just get out of here,” I laughed, pushing at him. “You and your corny self.”

“I’m serious,” Dante insisted with a grin.

“Yeah, yeah,” I said lightly as I shut my locker, “Whatever you say, creeper.”

“Thank you,” he replied with amused sarcasm.

I swung my backpack over my shoulders. “So where do you want to hang out this time?”

Dante’s smile shrank a bit. “Um, I came over to say that I can’t hang out with you today because I have to meet up with my buddies at Banzai right about now.”

My smile receded a little as well. “Oh. Do you have a… a date or something—?”

Dante shook his head vigorously. “No, no, it’s nothing like that. It’s my buddy Dash’s birthday today, and he’s treating us out at Banzai. You know him, right?”

I did. Dash Santos was one of Dante’s best friends who had already graduated out of high school. He was with me and Dante in our tenth grade Communication Technology class, two years ago.

I nodded rather slowly once. “I see. Well, have fun with your friends.”

I tried to smile, but Dante, being the clever guy he was, must have sensed my disappointment because he gave me a gentle, consoling look. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I mumbled, looking down so he couldn’t see my face, “It’s nothing.”

“Don’t lie, Carol. What is it? You can tell me.”

I sucked in a breath. “I just… wanted to spend time with you. But really, it’s okay. We can hang out some other time. We were with each other last weekend anyway—”

He surprised me with  a chuckle that made me look up sharply at him.

“What’s so funny?” I demanded, slightly indignant.

Dante’s smirk returned. “You’re cute when you say you miss me.”

My willpower broke, and my blush instantly flared. “I… I didn’t say that, I just… just said that I wanted to hang out with you again.”

“Same thing,” Dante scoffed, shaking his head at me.

Rolling my eyes, I looked at him with a resigned expression. “Well… don’t let me keep you. Your friends are waiting.”

He just gazed at me for a few seconds before abruptly pulling out his phone from his pocket.

“Excuse me,” he muttered to me before placing his phone to his ear and turning away from me slightly.