Chapter 23

~~September 27, 2012 [THURS] // 12:30 pm ~~

o   Carol

At lunch period, Dante and I sat next to each other amongst our friends.

One of the earbuds that was connected to his iPod was in my right ear while the other was in his left.

I had taken a fancy for his taste in music since yesterday, and since then, I would ask to listen to his music on his iPod whenever we had free time.

It was quite an enjoyable week so far, too. Dante and I had been hanging out with friends during the lunch period and once or twice after class.

“What song is this one?” I asked him, coming up to the eighth song  we had listened to today.

“It’s ‘Always Attract’,” he answered promptly, glancing at me, “by You Me At Six. Seriously, Carolynn, I should just burn you a disc of my playlist.”

I chuckled, ignoring his comment and listening in to the song.

When it ended and ‘Thunder’ by Boys Like Girls started to play, Dante abruptly remarked, “This is one of my favorites.”

Deciding to annoy him, I said emphatically, “But Boys Like Girls sucks.”

He glanced sharply at me, looking positively scandalized. “They do not!”

“Yeah, they do,” I stifled a smile.

“Oh, just give me my earbud back already—”

I laughed at his reaction. “I’m just kidding. Stay calm, fanboy.”

Dante pushed at me, not too hard. “Get outta here, Carol,” he said with a grin.

“Make me,” I challenged him, pushing him back.

The bell rang, indicating the end of lunch period and the start of third period classes. Since I had third and fourth period spares, I stayed seated.

Dante grabbed his backpack from beside him. “Gotta go.”

“Leave your iPod with me until the end of the day, please?” I proposed. Trying to give him the puppy dog eyes, laughter causing me to abandon it too early.

“Tempting, but no,” he replied with fake nastiness in his voice, standing up. The earbud fell out of my ear as he started to coil the wire.

“You’re so mean.”

“Fine,” he gave in, handing me his iPod, “Enjoy.”

“Thanks,” I put both earbuds into my ears.

“See you later,” he waved as he left.

I waved back. “See you, Dante.”

When he left, I decided to head over to C3 hallway to grab my Math textbook to do some homework.

Excusing myself from my remaining present friends, I stood up, Dante’s iPod in my jeans pocket and music playing in my ears. I went to my locker in the hallway adjacent to A3.

As I was grabbing my textbook from my locker, I heard doors open down the quiet hallway and Angel appeared and approached me.

“Doing Math homework?” Angel asked, starting to undo the combination lock of her locker, which was only a few lockers away from mine.

“Yeah,” I answered her with a glance.

“Do you have a test for Social 30 tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I do. You too?”