Chapter 11

~~July 2, 2012 [MON] // 10:30 am ~~

o   Angel

I was brushing my hair in my bedroom when the doorbell rang. Excitedly, I put down the hairbrush and went downstairs, finding my mother already at the front door.

“Oh, hello, Dante,” she was saying amiably, “How are you, dear?”

“I’m good, ma’am. Thank you,” came the courteous tone of my boyfriend.

I bounded up beside my mother and found Dante outside, handsomely clad in a navy blue Aeropostale shirt and faded jeans.

“Hi,” I greeted him with a smile.

He gave me a half-smile. “Hey.”

Mom seemed to notice the two of us already becoming absorbed in one another. She laughed and gave me a gentle push, so that I was moved beside Dante.

“So, you two are going to the zoo, am I right?” she asked in a more businesslike way.

“Yes, Mom.”

“And, afterward, you’ll be sleeping over at May’s?”

“Yes, Mom,” I nodded twice, “I am.”

“Okay, you be a good girl, Angel. All right?”

I nodded again. “I will, Mom.”

Mom turned to Dante. “Take care of her, will you, dear?”

On cue, Dante put his right arm around my shoulders. “I will, Mrs. Bautista.”

“Thank you, Dante. You two have fun.”

“We will, Mom,” I said brightly.

We turned around and walked off to the bus stop.

Like usual, I snuggled closely against Dante, enjoying the feeling of our bodies pressing against each other.

“Your mom’s pretty cool,” he said suddenly.

“How do you mean?”

“Well, just that. Way cooler than my mom or dad.”

I chuckled. “She seems to like you well enough.”

“Really? I’m glad to hear it. I wasn’t expecting your parents to be this okay with you being in a relationship with me.”

“Maybe it’s because you’ve made a pretty good impression when I introduced you.”

Dante laughed. “Thanks.”

We got to the bus stop and sat on the bench, waiting for the next bus to arrive.

“I missed you,” I told him without thinking.

He looked me in the eyes.

“I missed you too,” he replied, planting a quick kiss on my forehead. This was why I loved him; he was very sweet and always played along whenever I wanted to be sweet. I loved the way he said he missed me too, even though we had just hung out last Saturday.

Unable to stop smiling, I pressed into him a bit more.

“Dante?”

“Yes?”

“How old are you?” I asked casually, just out of curiosity.

Dante smirked. “I’m sixteen.”

“Seriously?” I said skeptically.

“Yeah. Why?”

I didn’t know he was sixteen. I always thought he was older, but in the truth, I was older than him; I was seventeen.