Chapter 16

~~ Over a month later… ~~

~~September 4, 2012 [TUE] // 4:02 pm ~~

o   Carol

I was at the school library, doing some homework for Math 30. Angel was seated right next to me, doing some Biology 30 studying.

“Hard to believe we’re in our last year of high school, huh?” she said to me, closing her Biology textbook and rubbing her eyes.

I gave a thoughtful smile. “Yeah. Twelfth grade.”

“It makes me nervous sometimes, you know? Graduating this year… going to university the next year… working soon after that. Time flies by so fast.”

I glanced up at her. “Me too. Before we know it, we’ll all be getting married and stuff.”

Angel chuckled, clearly not expecting me to say what I did. “Maybe. That’s the sunny side of things. I’m nervous about the other side of them.”

“Hey, you don’t need to be. I’m sure you’ll be just fine. You’ve got Dante to help you through, right?”

Angel grinned, relieved that I brought her boyfriend up. “You’re right. He is.”

“He’s got you,” I put down my pencil for a moment to look sincerely at Angel, “so you don’t have to worry.”

“You really think so?”

I gave a nod. “Well, you two have made it this far together, haven’t you? It’s not hard to see that he loves you more than anyone, Angel.”

My best friend looked profoundly assured. “Thanks, Carol.”

Someone came up behind us and bent down to place his chin on Angel’s shoulder.

“I’m done with my quiz,” Dante chirped at Angel, planting a chaste kiss on the side of Angel’s mouth, “Want to get going?”

Angel giggled. “Okay, okay. Sure.”

Turning to me as she gathered her things, she said, “Hey, I’ll just see you tomorrow, Carol. Take care.”

I nodded and smiled at her. “You too.”

When my eyes moved to Dante, I saw that he was looking right at me, his expression neutral. Over the previous month, he would often wear that look whenever his eyes were on me. I thought it was unusual, but I no longer devoted a lot of time thinking about him; I had reached a sort of closure some time ago.

I’m sure that if I looked into the depths of my heart, my feelings for Dante would, for the most part, still be there, but now I could accept that he loved someone else, and that someone else loved him. I had no part in their relationship. At least now, I wasn’t crazy about him anymore. I still had feelings for him, but now they were more controllable, tamed, and actually less demanding of my time and energy. Moreover, I wasn’t afraid to lose my feelings for Dante in favor of feelings for a possible other.

“Hey, Dante,” I greeted him with an open smile. “How are you?”

“Just fine, thanks,” he replied straightforwardly, “You?”

“I’m all right.”

His gaze became heavy all of a sudden, but he immediately looked away.

“Well, we’re off, Carol,” Angel stood up as Dante took her hand. “See you tomorrow.”

“okay. Bye, you two. Take care,” I said to the both of them.

They turned and left. As they passed out the library doors, I caught a glimpse of Angel standing on her toes to peck Dante on the cheek.