Chapter 29

~~October 6, 2012 [SAT] // 1:25 pm ~~

o   Carol

I picked out a cardigan from the rest of its kind and took a look at the size. Deciding to try it on, I headed for the fitting rooms.

Emerging from them not long afterward, I took the cardigan to the cashier and paid a little over twenty dollars to purchase the piece of clothing.

Turning around to leave Forever XXI, I came face-to-face with the next two people waiting in line behind me. Lifting my eyes, I recognized one of them after a second.

She was slightly shorter than me, with a plump, amiable face. She was holding on to the hand of a tall, thin guy with dark hair and glasses.

The girl seemed to recognize me as well, because she began smiling tentatively at me.

“Carol?” she said to me, her eyes lighting up.

Ate Christy?” I blurted, returning a quick little smile of my own.

Ate Christy Almonia used to go to my school, Bishop Grandin High School. She had already graduated several months ago. We knew each other through links between friends, but weren’t the closest friends. Still, we were friends and I recognized her as such.

“Imagine seeing you here!” she chirped, looking down at the paper bag I was holding that contained my new cardigan.

“Umm, yes,” I grinned, shaking the bag a bit, “I just had to buy a cardigan.”

Christy looked up at the tall boy’s face. “Kenny, it’s Carol. Remember? Dan – the girl bro talked about.”

This guy, Kenny, glanced at me with a polite smile. “Hey, nice to meet you, Carol. I’m Kenny.”

He held out a hand, and I took it and shook hands briefly with him.

“Likewise,” I nodded at him.

“Could you just bring these over to the cashier, baby?” Christy put a couple of casual dresses into Kenny’s arms, “I’ll just talk to Carol.”

Kenny seemed a bit confused, but he appeared to catch on to something two seconds later.

“Sure, baby,” he stepped up to the cashier with the merchandise in hand.

Christy turned back to me and I smiled furtively at her.

“Is he your boyfriend?” I said in a low, amused tone.

She smiled, looking bashful. “Yeah, he is.”

“Oooh, for how long now?”

“A month.”

“Aww. You two look cute as a couple,” I remarked cheerily.

Christy laughed. “Thanks. Anyway, where were you headed?”

“I was going to grab a smoothie or something at the food court.”

“Great! That’s where we were headed too!” she said eagerly, “Want to sit with us for a while?”

“Oh, don’t let me bother your date with Kenny,” I replied, smirking.

Christy shook her head. “No, please, it’s all right. We come here way too often, just the two of us. It’s nice to see you here.”

Kenny returned to her side, a similar Forever XXI paper bag in one hand.

Christy tugged on his arm and Kenny bent his knees so she could whisper something in his ear.