Chapter 4

~~7:33 pm~~

o   Dante

The four of us emerged from the Tim Hortons at Somerset and began to walk to the station. When we were at the platform, we said goodbye to Carol.

Martin and Angel said their own individual goodbyes, then Carol turned to me.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow again for more practice, Dante,” she said.

“Yeah, sure.”

She smiled, then pulled me by the arm to whisper: “Let me know if they ever seem to be into each other.”

I laughed quietly. “I will,” I assured her, chancing a quick glance at Martin and Angel, who were talking to each other again with smiles on their faces.

She laughed too, let go of my arm, and said “bye, Dante” before she boarded the train.

Martin and Angel were now walking toward the bus terminal. Rolling my eyes, I observed how the two seemed to have completely forgotten I was there. I trailed a little way from them until they stopped at the waiting shed.

Abruptly, Martin turned around and began to leave. I held him back and asked, “Hey, where are you going?”

“My bus is here,” he answered simply, “listen. Do me a little favor and stay with Angel a while longer, okay? I’d stay, but I really need to get going.”

I shot him a bemused smirk. “What, am I your errand boy now?”

“Come on, Dante. Please?”

“Oh, all right. See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, you too,” Martin said in reply, then waved at Angel behind me. “I’ll see you tomorrow!”

“Okay, see you!” Angel called after him, waving back.

I bumped fists with Martin and watched him cross the nearby street to get to his bus waiting at the stop.

I walked back to Angel to honor my friend’s request, even as I saw my bus slowing to a halt right behind Martin’s, just across the street.

“Aren’t you going home yet?” Angel asked me.

“My bus isn’t here yet,” I lied casually.

“Really?” Angel said with a hint of uncertainty, looking past me, “There are three buses over there. Are you sure yours isn’t one of them?”

“Sure, I’m sure.”

She nodded, then I decided to change the mood.

“You and Martin seem to get along pretty well,” I said with a smile that I tried to keep bare and contained.

“Yeah,” Angel said in an ‘I-guess’ way, then looked closely at my expression. “Hey!”

“What?”

“You’re thinking I’m into Martin, aren’t you?”

“Excuse me?” I said in an attempt at sounding innocent, “I said nothing at all about that.”

“Oh yes, you were going to, weren’t you?”

“No, I—”

“I can tell just by looking at your expression,” Angel narrowed her eyes at me with a daring smile.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I held my ground, inwardly ringing with laughter.

Angel raised an eyebrow, her look of suspicion burning through my defenses.