Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not {4}

The next day, I knocked on Noah’s door and his sister smiled and let me in. “Hey Max! Noah’s in his room,” she said brightly. “Thanks Sasha,” I said and slipped my shoes off before heading up to Noah’s bedroom.

                I hesitated before knocking. Noah opened the door and something flashed in his eyes. “Oh. Hey Maxi,” he said, playing with his lip ring. He stepped aside and I entered his room.

                “So Noah…um, do you wanna head up to Taco Bell? After we could go see a movie,” I said hopefully. Maybe…maybe he could fess up. We could talk about it. Sort it out and save our relationship. I would do anything to stay with Noah.

                Noah sighed and finally turned to face me. “Max…We’re through.” My body froze. No, no, no. That’s what Pierce said when he broke up with me because of Andre. “Noah…what do you mean?” I whispered, praying he would smile and say “Just kidding!”

                But he didn’t. He just continued to play with his lip ring. “I mean I’m breaking up with you. I’ve been cheating on you for about a week Maxi. With Mickey. And I can’t do that to you anymore. You deserve so much better. You deserve to be happy. You deserve to be treated right,” he whispered.

                “Noah, I saw you two yesterday at Taco Bell. I can forgive you Noah! Please don’t do this! I love you so much Noah!” I whimpered.

                “I thought I loved you Maxi but I don’t. I’m so sorry. I love you as a friend, but nothing more. I’m straight. I like girls. I like Mickey,” he said, avoiding my eyes now. Noah only did that when he was scared to see someone’s reaction.

                I could literally feel the pain in my chest as Noah’s words sunk in. “Noah, please!” I begged desperately. He couldn’t just leave me like this!

                “I’m sorry Maxi. I hope we can still be friends. Now, please leave. I have a date with Mickey in an hour and I have to get ready,” he said quietly.

                “Noah,” I whispered. He held up his hand. “No Maxi. It’s over. Forever. Your gay. I’m straight. It just doesn’t work. We were foolish to think it ever would.”

                He pointed at his door and turned his back on me. He went over to his drawer and pulled out a pair of shorts. “Go away now Maxi. I have to get ready,” he said, still not looking at me.

                I gulped and got up. “I still love you Noah,” I whispered before I left his room. I hurried to leave his house and slowly made my way back home.

                I let myself into my house and felt like breaking down. I went into the kitchen where mom looked up at me. “Maxwell! What’s wrong?” she asked in concern, noticing my expression.

                “Noah broke up with me,” I choked out. She got up and hugged me tightly. “Oh, who cares? He’s a boy, you’re a boy. Boys don’t go together! You’ll never have a working relationship Maxwell!” dad snapped.

                “Stop taking out your anger on Maxwell!” mom snapped right back. “He’s about to cry because a boy broke up with him!” dad yelled angrily. “It was his boyfriend! It upset him and you’re being insensitive!” mom screamed.

                They began to yell at each other more and more and I hurried up to my room. I almost expected to see Noah sitting on my bed with a grin on his face.

                But the only things on my bed were the toys Noah had won me from the crane game at the movies. I sighed and laid down on my bed, squeezing my eyes shut. I opened them and grabbed my iPod. I put on Astronaut by Simple Plan and took a deep breath.

                Noah had always been a player. Maybe I had never wanted to admit it. Hell, he was my best friend. Of course I didn’t want to admit he was a player. But Noah was the kind of guy who broke hearts. He didn’t even mean to do it. He was too free spirited for his own good. He just didn’t know how to stay in a relationship.

                He had cheated before and never felt too bad. In Noah’s mind, it wasn’t cheating. It was exploring other options. I had told him that it was wrong and hurt people, but Noah just didn’t listen to me.

                I know he had called it cheating, but that was for lack of a better word. I knew him well enough to know that he didn’t mean to hurt me, but he didn’t think that what he did was wrong.

                But…now what? I spent 2 years dreaming of being with Noah. I finally got to be with him, and now he didn’t want me anymore. Now what happened to me?

                The doorbell rang and I hurried down the stairs. I opened the door and found myself staring into the eyes of Andre Ryan.