Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not {7}

***Max’s POV***

                I walked into school the next day with one strap of my backpack sitting lazily on my shoulder. I let out a yawn and rubbed my eyes. I was so tired. I had barely slept last night. Mom and dad had stayed up screaming at each other until 3 in the morning. My alarm goes off at 6.

                I walked over to my friends. Pierce, Owen, Lacey, and Noah were talking casually. “Hey Maxi!” Lacey said brightly before hugging me. I hugged her back tightly and kissed her cheek. “Hey Lacey.”

                “You look tired,” she said with a frown. I shrugged. “Didn’t sleep much last night,” I said simply. She nodded in understanding and hugged me again.

                The bell rang and I waved to my friends before heading up to my locker. I did my combination before opening it. A piece of paper fell out and I bent down and picked it up. I unfolded it and bit my lip as I read the single word on it.

                Fag.

                I crumpled it and squeezed my eyes shut. Why did people have to be like that? Why couldn’t they just accept others for who they were?

                “Hey fag, it’s not nice to ruin the note I worked so hard to write you.”

                My eyes shot open and I quickly turned to face Brent. Brent was a kid who had always loved to bully me. He’s the reason my secret of being gay got out and he went after me even more ever since.

                His friends Lucas, Dave, and Karl stood behind him smirking at me. Oh boy. They were going to give me trouble. “Well fag. You gonna say something?” Brent asked, raising an eyebrow at me. I turned my back on him and shoved the crumpled paper in my locker. I would just ignore him. I was more mature than him.

                I felt my bag being taken and turned back around as Brent grinned. I reached for my bag and he tossed it to Lucas. They began to play monkey in the middle with me as I desperately tried to get my bag back.

                Kids began to gather and laugh at me. “Heard your boyfriend dumped you Max. Your parents couldn’t pay him enough to make him stay with you anymore? Oh that’s right…your parents hate each other. And your dad hates you too,” Brent said, grinning at me cruelly.

                “Please stop,” I begged as I reached for my bag again. “No one likes you fag,” he said and threw the bag to Karl. Kids laughed harder as Dave shoved me to the ground. Karl hit me in the face with my bag and my head smacked the floor. I whimpered a little as pain exploded where my head had hit.

                They pulled me to my feet and Dave and Lucas held my arms. Brent pulled out his cell phone and nodded at a girl. She smirked and came over to me. She grabbed my face and forced her lips onto mine as I tried my hardest to get away.

                Brent and his friends laughed wildly as Brent recorded it. The kids watching laughed and clapped as another girl came up and did the same thing to me.

                “Anyone else want a turn?” Brent called, laughing. I struggled desperately to get away from them. Where were my friends? Why wasn’t anyone watching helping me? Didn’t they realize how sick this was?

                “Brent, the locker!” Karl cried, grinning and nodding at it. Brent laughed pointed. “Shove him in it!” he cried happily.

                They pulled me towards my open locker and I kicked at them. During the struggle, they pulled the wrist band I was wearing up my arm too far.

                “Oh my god! The fag actually cuts himself!” Lucas cried, laughing violently. He held up my arm so people could see my wrist. “Fag!” Brent called, smirking at me. Why? Why didn’t anyone realize just how cruel this was? Why wouldn’t someone help me?

                I felt tears rising in my eyes as people laughed at me. I was so alone. No one out of this huge crowd wanted to help me. No one wanted to even speak up on my behalf. I was being publicly humiliated and no one gave a shit.

                “Aw the fag’s crying. Do you want your daddy Max?” Brent asked. “Nah man, his dad hates his gay ass,” Dave said and they laughed.

                I was thrown to the ground and the 4 took turn spitting on me. Dave and Brent grabbed my arms while Lucas and Karl grabbed my feet. Kids laughed and cheered as they threw me in the garbage can.

                They shoved the garbage can over and I spilled onto the floor, my eyes filled with tears to the point where I couldn’t even see.

                I pushed myself up off the ground and tried to run but they grabbed me again. Brent twisted my arm behind my back and I cried out in pain. “Pleases stop!” I cried again.

                “Get off him you fucker!”

                Noah shoved his way through the crowd and ran at Brent angrily. Lucas and Karl hurried to grab him and held him tightly as he struggled.

                “Why do you care? You dumped the fag,” Brent said with a grin. “Gay boy drama!” Karl cried and kids cheered as they continued to watch.

                “He’s my best friend and if you don’t let him go I’m going to rip off your head and shove it up your ass until it comes out your fucking fingers,” Noah snarled.

                Brent threw me to the ground and kicked me. I winced and slowly got up. I grabbed my bag off the ground and ran away from everyone. “Max!” Noah cried.

                I could hear him running after me as he continued to scream my name. I ran towards the doors leading out of the school with my head down.

                I ran into someone and looked up in embarrassment. Pierce’s concerned eyes looked back at me. He pulled me into the boys’ bathroom and locked the door.

                “What’s wrong Max?” he asked after making sure we were alone. I knew if I tried to talk, I would cry. “Brent?” he asked gently. I nodded and bit my trembling lip. Pierce hugged me tightly and I buried my face in his chest. He stroked my hair as a tear rolled down my face.

                He forced me to look at him and gently brought his lips to mine. “I know you’re hurt from Noah. I know you’re probably not ready for another relationship. But Max, I never stopped loving you. If you need a friend, I’m your friend. If you need more, I’ll gladly be that too,” he whispered.

                “I don’t know anymore Pierce,” I whispered. The bullies…I didn’t know how much more I could put up with before I finally snapped. I wasn’t far from snapping. I knew that. I could feel it. A person could only take so much.

                “Fire is only dangerous if you can’t control it Max,” Pierce whispered before leaning down and kissing me again. I hugged him and rested my head on his chest.

                “Pierce…I know I still have feelings for you. But I just don’t know if I’m ready for a relationship right now. Not after Noah,” I whispered. “Now if you’re going through some pain say fuck the world,” he said with a small smile. God I loved that song.

                “Fuck the world,” I said with a sigh. He hugged me tightly. “I’ll wait Maxi. You’re worth it.” I smiled softly at him. But now I knew I had feelings for Noah and Pierce. I mentally sighed. When had life gotten so complicated for me? Was I hurting them with my mixed emotions?

                I needed to sit down with Lacey and talk everything out with her. She always helped me with problems like this. She never judged me. I would figure out the right thing to do and do it. I refused to hurt anyone else.