Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not {18}

“My mom wants to go to my grandparent’s house tonight,” I said with a sigh as I sat with my friends for lunch. We were all eating cheeseburgers hungrily.

                “Aw I’m sorry Maxi. You can stay at my house if you want,” Noah offered. “Or mine,” Pierce said, a bit eagerly. Nason squeezed my hand under the table, letting me know I was welcome at his house too.

                I shook my head. “Thanks but no thanks guys. I don’t want to leave my mom alone like that. I’d rather be there for her. It’s going to be hard on her to basically walk out on my dad for a little.”

                They nodded at me in understanding and we all went back to eating. “What about Skeeter?” Noah asked curiously with his mouth full. I rolled my eyes at his manners and he snapped his mouth shut. “We’ll bring him with us. My grandparents love him.”

                “My name is what haters tend to mention so keep talking bitches cause I love the attention,” Noah said randomly. I raised my eyebrow. “Roses are red violets are blue I have a knife get in my van?” Noah nodded happily. “The best candy comes from vans!”

                I looked up at the sky. We were eating outside and it was a nice day out. I mentally sighed and took another bite of my cheeseburger. I was so worried about my parents.

                “So the fag has a new boyfriend?”

                Fear struck through me as we faced Brent, Lucas, Karl, and Dave.

                “Max isn’t a fag. Now go away before I beat your sorry ass!” Noah snapped. Brent ignored him and kept his eyes on Nason and I. Nason squeezed my hand again. I had told him about Brent, Lucas, Karl, and Dave and how they bullied me.

                “So who’s this fag? I’ve never seen him before,” Brent said with a grin. “Please go away,” Nason said quietly. “Ha! The fag’s dating a little pussy boy,” Dave said. The others laughed at Nason and I. No. No, I would NOT let them keep insulting me and my friends. I was done. It was time to stick up for myself and put an end to all this bullying and torture.

                “Nason’s not a pussy. He’s just not an asshole like you guys,” I growled. “Oh damn, gay boy’s got some balls,” Lucas said in amusement. I stood up and released Nason’s hand. My friends were watching me nervously, ready to jump in if a fight started.

                “You know what I think Brent? I think you pick on me because you’re jealous,” I said, crossing my arms and raising my eyebrow. Brent burst into laughter. “Me? Jealous of you? Fag, no one likes you. Your own rents hate you. What’s there to be jealous of?”

                I glared in determination. “Because you know my parents don’t hate me. You know they love me and you’re jealous that your parents don’t care about you! I know what your parents are like. Your dad’s always traveling and your mom’s always at work. And you’re just jealous that my parents are always there for me and care about me.”

                His face turned bright red. “You’re going down faggot,” he growled and began to walk over to me. I stood my ground as he approached me and pulled his fist back. I would NOT back down. No, I wasn’t afraid of Brent. He was a jealous asshole.

                He glared. “Let go,” he hissed. I noticed Noah grabbing his fist. “Leave before we kick your sorry ass Brent,” he growled, tightening his grip on Brent’s fist. I heard his knuckles crack and saw pain flicker through his cruel eyes.  Noah didn’t look it, but I knew he was strong.

                He released Brent’s fist and shoved him back towards the others. “Go!” he snapped. Brent clenched his other fist tightly. “We’re going to kick your asses!” he threatened before he and his friends left.

                Noah smiled at me happily. “Way to go Maxi!” he cheered and high fived me. I blushed a little. Pierce laughed and stood up. “You guys ready to go? We can go to  my house and hang out for a little,” he said. We all nodded and walked to Pierce’s car.

                “Maxi gets shotgun!” Pierce cheered. I laughed and sat shotgun. We turned up the radio as Simple Plan’s “Me Against The World” came on. We were laughing and jamming out.

                But before any of us knew what was happening, we heard tires squealing. Pierce desperately spun the steering wheel. My heart was slamming and I was too terrified to make a noise. We screamed as a car slammed into Pierce’s.

                I felt a terrible, sharp pain before the world went black.