Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not {24}

“Hi guys,” Noah said with a weak smile as we entered his hospital room. His mom burst into tears again and wrapped her arms around him. He winced. “Oh god! I’m sorry Noah!” she cried and released him.

                “It’s okay mom. My ribs are bruised, so just be careful,” he said with a slight shrug. She started crying harder. “Who did this to you Noah?” she asked desperately. He opened his mouth and I prepared myself to hear him say Brent’s name.

                “I don’t know. I got jumped,” he said. But he started playing with his lip ring, giving himself away to me. “We’re going to find out who did this to you Noah and we’re going to make them pay,” his dad promised, gently kissing his forehead.

                Noah smiled weakly at his parents. God. He had so many cuts and bruises on him. “Are you hungry Noah?” Mrs. Harts asked after a few minutes. Noah nodded. “Fatass hungry!” he whined. “Language!” his dad snapped. “Sorry daddy,” Noah said with a puppy dog face.

                 His parents left to get him food and Sasha followed. “It was Brent, wasn’t it?!” I asked, feeling upset. It was my fault! I should’ve just stood up to Brent! Why did I need Noah to defend me? God I had to learn to stick up for myself so he’d stop going after my friends!

                “Chill out Max. I let him do it. I didn’t try to fight back. Don’t tell my parents. Please don’t tell my parents. I don’t want them to be scared to send me back to school,” Noah said, a pleading look in his eyes.

                “Noah he beat you! Why didn’t you fight back?!” I cried. “Max, please. Just trust me. I had a reason why I didn’t,” he said nervously.

                I felt like throwing up. “It was because of me, wasn’t it? He threatened you to take the beating for me, didn’t he?” Noah played with his lip ring. “Maybe,” he said quietly.

                I shook and sat down on the edge of the bed. My eyes watered. “Noah,” I whispered. “This is my fault!” I cried, a tear making its way down my face. Why? Why did Noah have to get hurt for me?

                “Max, please stop crying! Please don’t tell my parents! I chose to let them beat me!” he said desperately. “It isn’t your fault! It’s Brent’s fault!” “It’s my fault Noah! My fault because I’m too fucking weak to stand up for myself!” I cried.

                His parents came back in the room and glanced at us in scared confusion. “Max, stop! I swear to god it isn’t!” Noah said. I wiped my eyes and shook my head. “I’m sorry Noah. I’m so sorry!” I whimpered before hurrying out of the room.

                “MAX!” I heard Noah scream. But I kept moving. I left the hospital and made my way home, taking a long time to try to clear my head.

                I got home and went into the kitchen to get myself some water. “What’s wrong Maxwell?” mom asked, frowning deeply. Dad looked up from reading the paper.

                My eyes watered and I forgot about the water. “I’m so weak I can’t fucking stand up for myself and people get hurt because of it!” I screamed, tears running down my face.

                I turned and ran upstairs, slamming and locking my door. Skeeter came over to me whimpering. I buried my face in his fur and tried to stop crying.

                I heard a click and then my door opened. I looked up to face my dad. He slipped a bobby pin back into his pocket before quietly shutting the door and coming over to me.

                “That lock is so easy to pick,” he said with a small smile. “What do you want?” I asked miserably. He sighed and sat next to me. “Max, I’m so sorry for all I’ve put you through. I know I was beyond mean when I should’ve been accepting about you being gay. I know how terribly I’ve treated you during that fight with your mother. But please know how much I love you. You and your mom are everything to me and I love you both so much. If you need to talk, I’m always here to listen to you,” he promised, hugging me tightly.

                I sniffed and wiped my eyes. “Dad, Noah got beat up for me. Because I couldn’t stand up to bullies, they went after Noah. It’s all my fault!” I launched into the story, finally telling my dad everything those assholes had done to me and now what they had done to Noah.

                Dad was beyond shocked. “They did all that to you Max?” he whispered. I nodded. “Yea dad,” I whispered. “And…and that’s part of why I c-cut myself last year,” I managed to say.

                “Max…what happened to Noah isn’t your fault. There’s nothing you could have done. They were cowards to go after Noah like that,” dad said, hugging me again. He held me tightly and I squeezed my eyes shut and hugged him back.

                “Please Max. Please don’t blame yourself for this. It wasn’t your fault!” dad promised. “I just feel so bad dad,” I whispered. “It’s understandable Maxi, but it’s unnecessary.” 

                I sighed. “I guess you’re right dad,” I said quietly. “Please tell me if they do anything else to you Maxi,” he begged. I nodded at him. “I promise dad.”

                He kissed my forehead and I laid down. The next day, I went to Noah’s house. He was laying on his couch watching The Fox and the Hound.

                “Hi Maxi!” he said brightly. “Hey Noah,” I said and sat down next to his feet. He shifted and sat up slowly, wincing a little. Guilt claimed me but I tried to force it away. Maybe dad was right. Maybe it was Brent’s fault and not mine.

                “Are you mad at me Noah?” I asked quietly. He shook his head. “Of course not Max! Come on man; you know you’re the nipple to my boob! The milky gray discharge to my vagina! The-” “Alright I’ve got it Noah!” I cried, laughing.

                Noah smiled happily. “So, I heard Pierce got a drunk fuck last night,” Noah said, laughing a little. Surprisingly, Noah was actually a virgin.

                I rolled my eyes. “Oh Pierce,” I said, shaking my head and also letting out a small laugh. “Oh! I almost forgot. I heard Aaron was talking mad shit about Noah,” I said. Aaron was a kid who absolutely hated Noah for no reason.

                Noah shrugged. “Ah well. If he’s talking shit behind my back, he’s in a perfect position to kiss my ass.” I smiled at him.

                I watched the movie with him and it made me frown. Two close friends, turned to enemies. Maybe it was a child’s movie, but it had a point to it. I glanced at Noah out of the corner of my eye. I bit my lip nervously as I felt old feelings explode inside me. Oh boy. Here we go.

                (A.N.- I was reading through the last part and realized instead of putting “feelings explode inside me” it said “feeling sexplode inside me” …Lololololol.)