Chapter 8

Alex:

It's almost been a week since Matthew's 'almost' confession. Everything's sorted between me and him, but he is acting kind of weird lately. He is always in a joyful mood. Every afternoon after college, he wanders off to somewhere. On being asked what's going on with him, he just replies that same old "nothing". But Jordan and I both know that there's more to his "nothing."

I and Jordan have planned to follow Matthew today. As funny as it may sound, we couldn't keep the curiosity within.

Right now, I and Jordan are waiting for Matthew to come and tell us that he will be coming back on his own.

Right on cue, Mat came out of the College building and then waved to his other, new friends. After that, he made his way to our car.

"Listen, I will be coming back on my own. So, you may leave now." He said once he reached our car and then without a second glance, he left in the direction of some unknown road.

I looked at Jordan. He had that mischievous glint in his eyes and was smirking devilishly. I smirked in return and waited till Matthew was out of sight.

Once he was nowhere to be seen, I and Jordan left the car. We told the driver to wait for us here until we return. We didn't want Matthew to hear the sound of the engine running, that's why we had decided to walk.  Soon we were drifting off to the direction where Matthew went.

After fifteen or twenty minutes of mindless walking, a huge, very familiar tree came into sight, which was about two or three meters away. We were in the middle of the fields, that's why we were hidden. And the next thing I saw made me stop dead in my tracks. Sitting under that eerily familiar tree were Matthew and Anvesha. Both were talking animatedly to each other and Anvesha's laughter could be heard loud and clear.

I was frozen at my spot.

"What the--"

"How...dare he..." I cut Jordan off.

I closed my eyes and took long deep breaths. My body was shaking with anger.

My best friend was friends with the person I hate the most and he didn't even tell me. I felt my hands clench into fists on their own. A feeling of anger and betray flowed like a wave through me.

Jordan gritted his teeth, "I don't know what to say...all this time Matthew has been running away from us to be with her?" 

I closed my eyes again and stretched my hands which were balled into fists. I didn't want to create any scene here, so I grabbed Jordan's arm and began to leave.

"Let's go Jordan." I said in a low, warning tone.

Jordan seemed to understand me pretty quickly because he nodded and soon we were off to college.

***

I couldn't believe what happened today. I've been waiting for Mat to come back since afternoon, but I think he's too busy to realize that he is late. The moment I recall the image of seeing her and Matthew sitting under that tree like they owned it and laughing like some funny joke had been said, my hands ball themselves into fists and a feeling of punching something overcomes me. Jordan's been silently reading his book ever since we came back.

I was angry at Matthew for going behind my back and becoming friends with the person I hate, but there was this unknown feeling which kept nagging me whenever I recalled the memory of both of them together. I couldn't comprehend what it is, but it makes me even more furious with Matthew.

The door suddenly opened and came in, none other than the traitor himself.

"Where the hell were you?" I hissed.

Matthew was taken aback by my question but his relaxed posture remained just the same as he kept his books and sweater on the table.

"Nowhere that concerns you." He said nonchalantly.

I scoffed. "So did you have fun at the rendezvous with that Indian woman?"

He stopped dead and looked towards me. His eyes held an emotion which was a mix of guilt and anger. His mouth opened and closed, like he wanted to say something.

"Speechless, are we?" I said to him, my voice booming in the whole room. Jordan got up from his bed and stood beside me, his hand on my shoulder. He was himself glaring at Matthew.

"How...how did you? Never mind, it doesn't matter." Matthew said in his same old relaxed tone.

The urge to punch him straight in his face was overwhelming. I looked up at him and found him sitting at the sofa, reading a book, not a care about what is happening.

That's when I got up from my bed and lunged towards him. Before I could punch him, Jordan caught me and pushed me back.

"Are you out of your mind?" Jordan shouted at me.

Matthew was now fuming. He got up and walked towards me. His hands were balled. But the next thing he said left me shocked. "Are you jealous Alex?"

I stopped and blinked. And blinked again.

Jealous?

Why would I be jealous? I am angry at you because you betrayed me!

"Am I jealous? What the hell Matthew? First you hide from us that you were meeting up with her and about your friendship and when we confront to you about it, you say I'm jealous!" I shouted at him.

"Then why can't I be with her, when you know the fact that I like her?" He shouted back at me.

By now Jordan was standing between us with hand on each of our chests. That was the only thing keeping us apart.

"You like her! So you finally admit, huh? Took you long enough. I never knew that I will be fighting with you about this! Did you forget about Viola this quickly?"

I shut my mouth from saying anything more. Jordan sucked a breath and his hand from my chest dropped.

And that's when all hell broke loose. Matthew pushed Jordan away and grabbed me by the collars of my shirt.

I know I had crossed a line. I shouldn't have brought Viola into this.

"How dare you bring her into this!?" Matthew was raging. He took a lurching step towards me and the next thing I know, Matthew's fist made contact with my jaw and I was thrown backwards.

I could hear Jordan shout at Matthew in the background. The world was revolving around me and I could feel the warm, metallic taste of blood in my mouth.

My head made contact with the side of the bed and I saw Jordan rushing towards me before my eyes closed.

I took a step way too far this time. And that too with my own best friend.

The last things I heard were a loud slam of the door, before darkness consumed me.

***

This is my first time actually writing a fight scene, I don't know if I wrote well or not...so do leave your feedback!

Vote! Comment!

Update-Minor stuff.

Thanks for reading!