Chapter 19

Before I start off with my chapter, I just want to clarify one thing. In those times, college interactions sort of things didn't actually happen. Or if they did happen, probably not a women's college with a college filled with men (even though University of Calcutta wasn't men-only). So, this is a part of my imagination which will help the story's plot.

And Gayatri Roy, the woman in the portrait is fictional. She is inspired by Kadambini Ganguly and Chandramukhi Basu.

♥♥♥

Anvesha:

I stared at the enormous building in front of me. An approving gasp left my throat even before I could hold it in. No one looked at my loose behaviour though, they were all too enamoured by the beautiful building, The University of Calcutta that stood in front of us.

As if on queue, the teachers led us inside the intricate entrance hall. Cream coloured tiles laced the entire floor. Walls were a white colour with portraits of famous students who passed this college were lined up.

The ceilings were lined with beautiful crystal chandeliers and that's when I realized something. This was all British, the building's design, the pattern of the walls...the high ceilings, all of it was British architecture. And then it didn't help my pride that I was begrudgingly appreciating their work.

Pakhi stood beside me, no signs of awe on her face, just a smile to keep up with her manners. It was highly mannerless for a women to keep her emotions on display for everyone to see, she must be thinking.

I shook my head lightly and that is when I heard the footsteps. Within a short period of time, a number of the university's students had gathered in front of us. All of them were men, standing tall on their feet with their hands behind their back.

I noticed that quite a large number of men were Indians, but it didn't mean that there wasn't any share of British men there.

And I was astonished. I did not have any idea that British men, in fact, joined Indian schools and colleges.

Wasn't it degrading for them? I thought bitterly.

I wiped the thought away from my mind as it was quickly replaced by excitement.

"Pakhi, have you been here before?" I asked the silent girl beside me.

She looked at me and gave me a smile, "I suppose I have, when I was a child. My grandfather was in the college's administration for a really short while."

Ah, so that is why she isn't that much excited.

I hadn't noticed but our teachers were addressing for us to stay at our best behaviours and that we will be escorted by two volunteering students who would show us around this castle like structure. I lost my attention again, as I made my way towards probably the first portrait of a woman I had seen in the whole place.

Gayatri Roy was written with bold letters below the painting of a women whose hair was tied behind her head in a loose braid, but her head was covered with her sari. She wore a blouse which covered her arms and a plain red sari which was wrapped around her in a fashion I hadn't seen before. She was sitting on an intricate chair and staring off at the left side with a thoughtful look on her face, yet no smile.

A brief description was written about her. It told us that she was the first women who was eligible to give the entrance test for this university.

Her hobbies included writing poems and brief plays, in which almost always a strong women was the main protagonist.

When I stared at her portrait, I couldn't help but feel as if this woman gave me motivation to not let the society's norm come in between me and my thinking; to be fearless and speak my mind.