Chapter 10

Anvesha:

"Yes, give me two garlands please." I said to the local garland maker, Devi. She was an old withering woman who made garlands for the people who visited the temple. I knew her since I was a child for she was always sitting outside this famous Mata Ka Mandir. She wasn't allowed to enter the temple, because she was considered an "untouchable". I feel disgusted to even say this word. No one in this world is "untouchable" and no one deserves to live the life they do. My father has a great hatred for this system, and that's why we don't appoint anyone to work as servants at our home. I wish a time comes when this poor system is torn from its roots off India.

Whenever I come to Devi, I don't shy away from having a full conversation with her. Everyone stares at me or gives me looks of disappointment or anger, but I haven't a care in this world for what they think. Those people weren't important and their thinking made no difference to what I do or who I talked to. I always get the prasad for Devi and her family, but I wish I could take her to the temple.

Devi smiled at me and made me two beautiful garlands. I handed the money to her, which she refused to accept like always. But I knew how hard she works for this money, so like always, I persuaded her to accept this money as symbol of respect. After that I had a small conversation with her and then left.

I entered the temple and prayed for some time. The pujari gave me the prasad, to which I asked for extra, for Devi of course. After giving the prasad to Devi, I left.

***

I walked deeper inside the forest. You must be wondering what was I doing in a forest. Well, after the visit to the temple, I didn't have much to do all day as it was Sunday. So I decided to visit the forest just behind my house. I liked the serenity of the forests. They gave away the feeling of calmness. The twitter of the birds, the sound of the flowing river nearby and the light breeze is the loveliest atmosphere to read a book.

I was now in the deepest part of the forest. The sight presented in front of my eyes was the most beautiful I had ever seen. The trees were scattered everywhere around the river and the sunlight sneaked its way past the branches and leaves of those trees. The sound of the flowing water had a soothing effect. I spread my blanket under a tree and sat down. I took out the book I was reading, Wuthering Heights and began reading it. It was gifted to my father by his friend, who lived in Britain. As he was not that much into reading, father gave it to me.

"Ah, what a pleasant surprise!" A deep, very familiar voice said. My face snapped up from my book to the direction of the voice and I saw Alexander sitting at the other side of the river.

I groaned. Why did he always make a sudden appearance wherever I go? And why do I never see him before he decides to talk?

"Why are you here?" I said to him, suppressing another groan when I realized he was fishing. His trousers were folded up to his calves and his shirt at his elbows. He was seated comfortably at the area where the river met the land, and his feet were in water.

"I could ask you the same thing, but I think I already know the answer." He said, gesturing towards the book in my head. "If you haven't realized by now, I must tell you that I'm fishing." He mocked.

I glared at him, "I know that, but how come I didn't see you?"

He smirked and shrugged at me. He proceeded to grab a worm from a can and attached it to the hook of the fishing rod. He didn't say anything after that which was unlike of him because Alexander was not the person to remain quite. He always said childish things, which even though 'childish', stung like a fresh wound.