Chapter 2

I walked awkwardly next to the stranger who had introduced himself as Jack. It took my full concentration not to fall whilst walking through the sidewalk that was drenched in rain water. He, on the other hand, glided when he walked. Everything about him was smooth, to the way he looked to the way he talked.

He politely held the door open for me, something James has ceased to do anymore. I thanked him and stepped inside. The smell of coffee beans immediately filled my nostrils.

“What would you like?” he asked, pulling out his wallet and standing in front of the counter.

“A caramel mocha,” I said. I reached for my own money. He didn’t need to pay for me, we don’t even know each other.

He ordered our drinks and handed over his money before I could object.

“No, here,” I said, handing him enough to cover my drink. He pushed it away.

“No, no. My treat.” he said with a grin.

“You don’t have to do that,” I said, trying to force him to take my money.

“But I want to.” he said. “Why is it that girls always complain when guys buy them stuff?”

“Because we don’t want to feel dependent on the male species.” I answered him. “Now take it. I have plenty of money.”

“It’s a coffee, Sophie, not a car.” he pointed out. The barista handed us our drinks and Jack led us over to a table in the back.  ”So, tell me about yourself.” he said once we had seated ourselves.

“What do you want to know?” I asked. I was hesitant to go into details about my life.

“Everything.” he answered.

“I’m afraid you’ll need to be more specific.” I said, sipping my mocha.

“Alright, where are you from?” he asked. I tugged on the sleeves of my sweatshirt, making sure they covered my wrists.

“I moved to London from America when I was ten.” I told him.

“You’re American?” he asked, raising his eyebrows. “But you have an accent.”

“I was still young when we moved, so I picked up on it.” I said.

“And why did you move?”

“The CEO of the business my dad worked for offered him the position to head up their new location in London.” I explained. His eyes were sparkling with interest.

“Very cool,” he said, bobbing his head up and down.

“What about you?” I asked.

“What about me?” 

I rolled my eyes. “Where are you from?”

He gave a cheeky smile. “Chiswick, in London.”

I’d been there a few times with my parents on business. But for the most part, they left me at home while they traveled around. I was never good enough for them. I was a burden.

“I take it you’re majoring in music?” he said.

“Yes, much to my parents’ dislike,” I answered.

“Why’s that?”

“They want me to go into business, take over some day.”

“Sounds boring.” he said, tapping a finger on his Styrofoam cup.

“Got that right,” I said, laughing to myself. “Your major?”

“I’m studying drama, television, and film.” he told me.