Chapter 25

Back when I lived in America, my father and his boss would go hunting quite often. He would be up at four in the morning, dressed in all shades of brown and green. Then, he would take his shotgun and sit in a tree for hours waiting for the perfect five-point buck to come along.

I never really understood how someone could be so quiet, aware, and patient for that length of time. But my father loved it. He was happy when he would return home with any sort of game. Although, if he came back empty handed, I became his prey.

His trademark shot was always right in between the eyes. That way, you would kill the animal but not ruin any of the meat. He hardly ever hit anywhere else.

And I thought back to these memories as I stared at the name on my phone. My father loved to hunt, and he was a good shot too. I just never thought it would lead to something like this.

My father has always been more than capable of murder. Who would have thought that his first victim would be James Hadsbury.

“Sophie,” Jack spoke. “What is it?”

I couldn’t speak. I was too filled with shock to form words. What was I supposed to say anyhow? I handed my phone to Jack, hoping he could decipher for himself. I saw him crinkle his nose out of the corner of my eye.

“You think…?” he began, trailing off. I rubbed my hands along my face. It just didn’t make sense. Why would my father kill someone he thought so highly of?

“I always knew my father was mad, I just never thought…”

“He’d actually do something like this,” Jack finished for me. We sat in silence for a moment, both thinking this through. “We need to go to the police, Sophie.”

“A text isn’t going to prove anything. Especially when it’s not a confession.” I pointed out. But I knew Jack was right. The police needed to know about this, it was part of the case. It’s evidence. I know what this means though, I’ll be putting my father behind bars…for good.

“It’s worth a shot, isn’t it?” he asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. I nodded my head slowly and let out a breath.

“Have you talked to Finn, about what’s happened?” I asked him.

“Yeah,” he said. “And it seems as though Finn knew about you and James’s relationship before I did,”

I looked away as blood rushed to my cheeks. “He promised not to tell,” I said, my voice gentle.

“And you really expected him to keep that quiet from his twin?”

I let out a small laugh. “I should’ve known.”

Jack pulled me to him, placing a kiss behind my ear. I closed my eyes as I rested against his firm shoulder. The message I received didn’t fail to return to haunt me, even though I only read it moments ago. My father is a murderer. He actually took someone’s life.

“I don’t get it,” I sighed.

“Get what?” asked Jack. His breath was hot in my ear. As tempting as he was, my mind was somewhere else right now.

“Why my father would kill James. He thought of him as his own son.” I explained, looking up at the ceiling. 

“Maybe that’s for the authorities to figure out,” he suggested.

“Let’s go,” I said, standing up. Jack looked at me with confusion from his place on the ground. “Let’s go back to the Station. Come on,” I held out my hand. He took it and I helped him to his feet.

I called Mum on our way there.

“Where’s Dad?” I asked her.

“I haven’t seen him in two days, honey. He didn’t return after I reported him.” she told me. “Why, dear?”