Chapter 26

"Just yesterday morning, they let me know that you were gone. Suzanne, the plans they made put an end to you. I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song, I just can't remember who to send it to."

Never once in my nineteen years of life here on this earth have I seen my father cry. That was, until now. He walked into the courtroom with his hands chained behind his back. He knew what he'd done. And I knew what I did too. But at least what I did was right.

"I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end. I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend,"

My father's gaze was cracking my heart into pieces I didn't know could break.

"But I always thought that I'd see you again."

We rose as the judge entered the room. I sat in between Jack and my mother on a rather uncomfortable bench.

I squeezed Mum's hand and buried my head into the crook of Jack's neck. All of this was my fault. If only I hadn't been such a disappointment...

"Won't you look down upon me, Jesus, You've got to help me make a stand. You've just got to see me through another day. My body's aching and my time is at hand, And I won't make it any other way."

James's parents and brother sat on a bench across the aisle from us. His mother was dabbing away tears while his father sat pale as a sheet. As for Terrance, he glanced over at me, giving a weak smile. I nodded in return before turning my attention back towards the judge, who was giving a speech to my father.

"Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end. I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend,"

But I couldn't help but notice there was a space, between Terrance and his mother, where James would have sat.

"But I always thought that I'd see you again."

James Hadsbury did not deserve the death he received. And it's unfortunate that it ended when it did. Because, now, people can only focus on his last few months, the ones where he was haunted. But that's not James, and I wish people could see that.

"Been walking my mind to an easy time, my back turned towards the sun. Lord knows when the cold wind blows it'll turn your head around. Well, there's hours of time on the telephone line to talk about things to come. Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground."

"What is your plea, Mr. Caliway, against the murder of James L. Hadsbury II?" the Judge asked my father.

He looked up with deep, sunken eyes that I knew all too well. Although, this time, they were different. This eyes weren't haunted by the demon of violence, no, these were eyes of remorse. Because, for once, my father was ashamed at what he'd done.

"Guilty, Your Honor." he stated. Mum began sobbing beside me.

"Oh I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end. I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend, But I always thought that I'd see you baby, one more time again, now."

But I was done shedding tears. It was time my father took some responsibility for his actions. Shame it was fourteen years later.

"The Jury and I sentence you to one hundred years in prison, with no chance of parole, on the accounts of First-Degree Murder, Domestic Assault, and Attempted Murder." The Judge beat his gavel, making the decision final.

"Thought I'd see you one more time again."

They hauled my father away, to the place he always belonged. But, of course, it took James to be able to it.