Chapter 12

I checked my phone as I rode in the car with my mother and James to meet my father for dinner. I had a new text from Jack:

From: Jack
Have a safe car journey?

From: Sophie
Yes, I’m just about to have dinner with my parents.

I texted back quickly, not wanting James to get suspicious and check my phone. He used to do that for awhile. Every night for about a month he would go through all my messages and call history to make sure I was staying in line. That’s when I knew things were getting out of control.

James and I entered the restaurant side by side, following closely behind Mum. The scent of sauteed peppers and meat flowed into my nostrils as we made our way to our table in the back. The restaurant was dimly lit with candles hung above each table for a romantic yet subtle feel.

Then, I saw him. The familiar blue eyes now turned hollow, perfectly gelled and graying hair,  and the sharp, navy blue business suit he always seemed to be fashioning. He smiled at me, causing my stomach to churn. I blinked a few times, looking at him is hard for me. All I can see are the bittersore memories of what he’s done to me. Those are things you just can’t forget, no matter how hard you try.

But, I gave him a hello kiss on the cheek none the less. I still had to fulfill my duties as daughter and heiress. He and James shook hands and he greeted my mother with a forced kiss on the lips. 

My jaw quivered as I took my seat across from my mother and next to James. I could feel my father studying me, trying to decide whether or not I was acceptable for him. I would have to be on my best behavior for the gala tomorrow. We wouldn’t want any bad publicity. 

I read over the menu to avoid the uncomfortable silence that was looming over the table. Although, I really wasn’t that hungry. At least not anymore.

“So,” started my mother, setting her menu down on the table. “How’s university going for the two of you?”

A typical conversation starter.

“Great,” I said.

“Pretty well,” said James at the same time. When we glanced at each other I noticed a fleck of annoyance in his eyes. 

“Keeping up with your classes?” she asked, not bothering to notice James’s reaction. I decided it would be best just to let him answer this one and keep my mouth shut.

“Oh yes, Professor Wilden’s lectures on the structures of modern-day economies are just fascinating.” said James, nodding his head as he talked. That was a trait of a true businessman. “He’s even invited me over for tea to further the discussion. That man sure knows his stuff.”

“I remember Professor Wilden, yes, a great economist. He’s taught some of the finest financial advisers in London.” my father added, taking a sip from his wine.

“Hopefully I’m on a similar path then,” said James, causing my father to smile at him. I shifted in my chair, crossing my legs.

“Oh trust me, boy, you are. You will make a mighty fine businessman some day. And if everything goes according to plan this CEO job will be a perfect fit for you.” said my father, pointing at James and shooting him a wink. I felt my insides twist and crack at his words. 

“Thank very much, sir. That means a lot coming from you.” replied James, his grin wider than I’ve seen in months.  I tugged nervously on my sleeves. None of the bruises on my wrists were noticeable, but it’s become a force of habit.

We ordered our food and James and my father continued to chat about business and politics while my mother and I stared at the walls in silence. Dad and James are good at business, and Mum and I are good at silence. I guess we’re all just doing things out of habit now.