Chapter 7

“Call me when you get there?” I asked James, my voice muffled into his chest as we embraced.

“Of course,” he said. He kissed my forehead so gently it felt foreign. He pulled away enough so we could see into each other’s eyes. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” I said, my smile weak. Tears threatened my eyes so I leaned back into him so he wouldn’t see. 

“I’ll be back on Saturday, then we can go out for dinner. How does that sound?” he asked, the stubble on his chin grazing my cheek as he spoke.

“Great,” I choked out. We pulled out of the hug and gave a kiss goodbye, even though it would only be two days. 

“You sure you don’t want to come with me?” he asked. “I think your father might be there.”

“No, that’s okay. I can’t afford to miss any classes. I have big exams coming up,” I lied. There was no way in hell I was going anywhere near my father. And two days away from James meant two days of peace.

“Alright, study hard!” he said, giving me another swift kiss to my temple. 

“I will,” I said, forcing another smile. James stepped away and gave a half-hearted wave before getting into his car and beginning the two hour journey back to London.

As soon as he was out of sight I let out a breath and went back up to my dorm. I only had an hour to get ready before Jack would pick me up. 

I felt almost dirty, sneaking around my boyfriend’s back like this. But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think he does the same thing to me. I know what my perfume smells like, and it definitely isn’t a rosemary cocktail.

**

When I was younger, my mum would often misplace things. Once she lost her diamond earrings just before a charity gala. She searched every where for them. I found them in a matter of seconds.

Another time she lost her phone just before a business trip to China. Just like with the earrings, she searched every where for them but to no avail. Once again, I found them with ease just before she left for the airport.

I guess what I’m trying to get at here is I sort of have a knack for finding things at just the right time.

**

“There’s something I need to show you,” said Jack with a cheeky smile as he led me back to his dorm. The look on his face made me question whether or not I should continue this endeavor of always going along with him or just head straight back to my room for some serenity.

But here I am, watching him fiddle with the key to his door. 

His room was simple, decorated with pictures of family and friends on a wall behind his computer. His bed was in the opposite corner and his wardrobe along the wall. It was only slightly smaller than my room.

He motioned for me to sit down at the spare chair in front of his desk. I solemnly obeyed. He sat down as well and immediately started clicking buttons and icons on his computer.

Finally, he pulled up a YouTube video titled: Twins

“Is - is that you?” I asked, squinting my eyes at the screen. “You look different,”

Jack laughed. “Just watch,” he said, pressing play.

It seemed normal at first, just him talking about how he hadn’t made a video in a while. Then I became utterly confused.

“Are there…are there two of you?” I asked, my eyes widening in shock as I turned to look at the real Jack. He was simply wearing a smirk.

“Well, if you haven’t already noticed I happen to be an identical twin.” said Jack from the video.