Chapter 16

I emailed my professors, letting them know that I would be missing class once again. My bruises were at the stage where they looked worse than ever. They were completely swollen and any cuts were now red and scabbing. I was embarrassed at my appearance. 

I still haven’t seen or been in contact with James after our fight. Part of me is kind of hoping he’s just off and ran, disappeared even. But I know I’m not that lucky.

I was bored in my dorm, hiding away from the rest of the world. So, I decided to catch up on the YouTube channel Jack had introduced me to. As it turns out, he’s made three new videos since he first showed it to me. 

I watched them all in order, smiling at the sight of Jack’s bright and happy face. But, towards the last one, his smile was different. It looked forced, like someone had attached invisible strings to the corners and were pulling them playfully. He seemed…distracted. I’ve never seen him like that. It sort of scares me.

If the happiest person I know isn’t happy, then what hope is there for me?

Almost as if on que, my phone lit up with Jack’s name. I answered after taking a deep breath.

“Hello?” I asked, my jaw sore from where I’d been hit.

“Can I come over?” asked Jack, his voice filled with an urgent tone. I checked the time.

“Um…sure,” I agreed. 

“Great, I’ll be there soon.” he said.

“See you then,”

“See you,” 

With that, we ended our phone conversation. I set my phone down on my dresser and scanned my reflection once again. For someone who’s afraid of mirrors, I sure look at them a lot.

My blonde hair was a tangled mess. The bags under my eyes were almost hidden by the swelling of my cheeks. And my blue eyes seemed more grey than usual. 

I thought about my mother. I wonder how long it’s been since she’s felt like this, if she’s ever felt like this. I used to be so angry with her for not stopping my dad from abusing me. But now I understand. It’s hard to stand up to someone you love. It’s hard to see past their flaws because, to you, they’re perfect.

I heard the familiar soft knock on my door, along with a light voice, “Sophie,”

When I opened the door to Jack, I held my breath at his appearance. He looked almost as rugged as me. His eyes were baggy underneath, showing a lack of sleep. He wore a beanie on his head to hide, what I assume, was his mess of hair. His cheeks weren’t their usual rosy shade, but instead colorless.

“Jack,” I said, as he stared at me with his hands in his pockets. 

“There’s so much I need to tell you, and I don’t think I’ll be able to rest again until I do.” he said.

“Come in,” I whispered. He stepped further into my room as I closed the door behind him. He glanced to the computer screen which was still paused on one of his videos. I blushed in embarrassment. But, instead of the cheeky comment I expected, he said nothing.

Instead, he pressed on to the matter he came here to address. He stirred around for a moment, trying to find the right words to say. He brought his hand to the back of his head and paced the small quarters of my room. 

“Jack?” I asked, trying to get him to say something.

But, instead of words moving on his lips, they crashed into mine. My lips were swollen and sore, but when they were connected to Jack’s, I felt no pain. I wrapped my arms around his neck, his finding their way around my waist.