Part 3

Liam

Juliet stood up quickly like my touch had suddenly burned her. I watched her expression grow serious and that smile that had been on her face just seconds ago fell into something darker. What the fuck was going on behind those beautiful eyes? She smoothed down her dress and looked around to see if anyone had seen us. There was no one but us on this side of the hill.

"I'm sorry you ruined your gloves. I can pay you back for those." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and I wondered when that little move got so powerful. Everything inside stirred and all my attention focused on the light pink blush of her newly exposed cheek. My heart jolted to life again like it had each time my skin felt hers.

"I'm not worried about my gloves," I said, trying hard not to smile and possibly make her angry. Something had made her flee from my side and fuck it all if I wasn't interested in learning what it was so I'd never do it again. I leaned back and stretched my arms out along the back of the bench. "What just happened?"

She shrugged her shoulder and looked away before letting here eyes meet mine again. "Look, thanks for helping me..."

"You're welcome," I interjected before she could finish. I didn't like where that sentence was headed. Was she just going to dismiss me? No way. I might have only known her for minutes, but I was already in it. If she walked away from me now, I'd never get her out of my head. My brain was already swirling with unanswered questions about her. If there was a small Marine battalion in my brain, the officers were already sectioning off the map of her body, sending in units to get intelligence. What would that golden section of skin that stretched across her small shoulder taste like? Would she like it if my hands touched her just above her hip bone? And those lips-- well, I was sending in recon for that mission because I knew the answers there could destroy me.

Her bottom lip began to tremble. She bit down on it as if to try to stop the small quiver from happening. My heart lurched in my chest. I hoped her method worked because each tiny jump made my arms burn to hold her. What was happening to me? I was not like this. I didn't get invested and I sure as shit didn't care of some girl was crying about anything. "Juliet," her name slipped off my tongue before I even registered what I wanted to say.

Her big blue eyes closed, pushing giant crocodile tears down her cheeks. I leaned forward. I wanted to hold her again, but wasn't sure if she'd even let me. She opened her eyes and blinked away a few more tears. "I'm not good at seven letter words." She tucked her hair again and I almost groaned. She was killing me. I'd never been so torn up in my life. I wanted to comfort her in the way a friend would, innocent and compassionate. But then I also wanted to kiss her and believe me, there would be nothing innocent about it.

"I'm a little lost," I admitted with a small shake of my head. "What do you mean?"

Her laugh wasn't filled with humor, it was just a low self-depreciating sound that huffed from her full lips. She shifted her feet and I watched as the toned muscles above her knee flexed with the movement. And then, because I'm a complete bastard, I let my eyes slip down over the rest of it until her delicate ankle led to two-inch heels. Her words cut through my thoughts just as they were becoming a bit too "R-rated," for a bench in a cemetery. "It's something Ken used to tease me about." She shifted again, "I don't handle seven letter words very good. 'Goodbye' and 'funeral' are at the top."

I felt my brows draw together. I wasn't sure what that had to do with me or why she'd practically jumped up from the bench. Her arms crossed over her chest protectively and I watched her face as she licked her lips. I adjusted on the bench again, desperate to hear what she said next. Her eyes were on mine again, determined this time and I swallowed down my apprehension. "'Marines' definitely makes the list." She almost whispered, her arms dropping to her sides again.

Smart woman. Marines should make the list for all girls everywhere. We were known for getting in and then getting out, if you know what I mean. I laughed softly and slid my hands along my thighs before standing up. I took a step into her space, her thin neck tipping her head back to look into my eyes. Her breath caught, I could hear the sharp intake and then the pause when her chest expanded so that it was almost touching mine. "How about 'destiny,' is it on the list?" I couldn't fight it any more so I reached out and tugged a strand of her hair, wrapping it lightly around my finger. "Because I know I could sure use something positive coming out of this fucked up reason for being in Texas."

She laughed, and it felt like butterflies were released in my gut. It was the most amazing sound as it seemed to dance through the quiet space around us. "That was good," she laughed. "I bet my brother loved having you as a wingman." I looked into her eyes and experienced this little dip in my stomach as if I'd jumped from something high and was plummeting down.

"Clearly not as much as he loved you." I gave the wayward strand another little tug before releasing it. When she looked at me curiously I finished, "He never even mentioned to me that he had a beautiful sister. Overprotective asshole." I winked and her small laugh turned into a full fit of giggles. 

**Hope you're enjoying the story so far! Don't forget to vote, comment and share! Each one helps!**