Part 43

Liam

I dropped her off at her house an hour before prom was to start. She was trying to get out of it since the day I bought her the dress, but I wasn't going to let her miss something she'd regret once the grief became more manageable. Pines would want her there, having fun and being a teenager. I was leaving her no option because I was doing it for him. She hugged me as I stood in her entry way and I felt my heart leave my chest and stay with her when she pulled back.

"My mom will take me to get the truck tomorrow. I have his spare key set." She was trying not to cry and it was breaking my heart.

"If you're sure it's not too much trouble," I answered, worried that I wouldn't find the strength to walk away from her when it was time to go.

"Not at all." Her bottom lip began to quiver and I felt the tears behind my own eyes start to sting but I refused to let her see them. I loved her. I knew it was fast and I knew we were too young, but I loved her anyway. It was a love I already knew would haunt me for the rest of my life. Maybe we weren't meant to be right now, but she was my one even if we never found each other again.

"Have fun tonight and be careful." I reached out and held her hand one last time, using my free hand to wipe away a tear that wet her cheek. Then I mustered all the strength I could and took a step away from her. "I'm going to miss you, Juliet. It's been a fun adventure."

She closed her eyes and the tears spilled down. "I'm going to miss you too. Come home. Every time, Liam. Come home every time."

"I'll do my best." It was all I could promise and I meant it. She nodded her head and I made sure to memorize her one last time. I turned and left the small house with the doomed address and the girl that I'd never forget.

I drove away, down the long road that took me from there back into the town. My mind was still with her and all the things I could have said, all the empty promises I could have made. The red and blue lights filling the cab of Pines' truck caught me by surprise and I pulled over, cursing under my breath. This day was just one bad event after another.

"Hello. Do you know why I pulled you over?" The officer asked as he stood at my window. A week on the road and it was in this town that I was going to get a ticket. I shook my head and let out a chuckle. I didn't really believe in ghosts, but maybe Pines was finally punishing me for what I'd done and he just wanted to wait until his sister wasn't around.

"You blew a stop sign back there," the officer informed me. "Can I see your license and registration?"

"Yes sir." I opened my wallet and pulled out my license. Then I leaned over to open the glove box, hoping the paperwork was all in order. We never needed it on our trip. Inside the glove box was an envelope with my name printed on it. My heart flipped around nervously when I recognized the printing. I pushed it aside and grabbed the registration, handing it to the cop.

"Wait a minute," he said, taking a step back to get a better look at the truck. "Is this Kennith Pines' truck?"

"Yes sir. It's his sister's now. I just dropped her off. Her and her mom are going to come pick it up in a little bit."
"You a friend of his?" he asked, his expression shifting from punishing to sympathy.

"Yes sir."

He gave me a tight nod and handed me back the paperwork without looking at it. "Sorry for your loss. You have a good evening and pay better attention."

"Yes sir." I took the paper and tossed it on the seat beside me. I watched him drive away, leaving me on a dark deserted road. My hand moved quickly back to the latch and I opened the glove box again. I pulled the envelope out and held it on my lap a minute, taking a few deep breaths to build up the nerve to open it. It had been so long since I'd seen his writing.

I turned on the light inside the truck and slid my finger beneath the flap of the envelope, tearing it open and pulling out the folded paper.

Dear Smith,

I knew it would be you. If it isn't, and by some weird chance this is Garver reading this, what the fuck are you doing and why aren't you with Bailey? You owe that girl for waiting for your ass.

So I see you've met my sister. She's amazing, isn't she? That's why I never told you about her. You're young and wild, my friend. But you're also a really good guy. The boyfriend she has now is a tool. If he isn't out yet, he's on his way. If you are reading this at the beginning of your trip, then let me tell you now you're going to fall in love with her. How do I know? Because everyone does. I've been chasing boys off since she was five years old.

Don't fuck this up, brother. I set it all up to put you in her path. I couldn't have watched it happen while I was there, but now that I'm not around go do your thing. If you love her, let her know. I've been telling her for years to burn that stupid list of seven letter words. She uses it as a wall to keep people out of her heart, but I guess it served its purpose if it kept her heart free for you.

I wanted my dad to have my tags because he was my hero. If you're reading this, then I'm already up in Heaven, enjoying a cold beer and a long talk with the man that never came back. I also wanted Juliet to get away from this small town for a while. I wanted her to see that the world is so much bigger than our back yard and that small town love doesn't always lead to a lifetime of happiness. She needs a man that will take care of her and I want someone for her that is loyal and honorable. Can't think of a better man for the job than a Marine.

Thanks for fighting beside me,

Pines

P.S. Watch out for the spare. Didn't have time to change it out before we deployed.

I chuckled at the last line, but as hard as I tried I couldn't keep laughing. Instead, I sat in the silence for a second before starting to cry. It was something I'd been raised to believe that boys didn't do, but I was lost. In the quiet, the whole experience caught up with me. I cried for Pines and I cried for Juliet. I slammed my fist against his dash and cursed him for dying. Then I screamed as loud as my lungs let me until all the anger about what we'd been through as brothers was gone from my heart. And when my tears were gone and my throat was hoarse, I slammed his truck into gear and set out to get my girl.