Part 25

Liam

We hadn't been on the road longer than five minutes when my phone chimed from the cup holder. I saw Lucas' name next to the message icon and swore under my breath. Did he have some sort of GPS system attached to my dick that would notify him when it got too close to Pines' sister? Guilt hit my gut, but didn't have much room to stick since I was full of all kinds of frustration. Even pounding the pavement for miles in the scorching heat did little to unwind what holding Juliet had twisted tight inside me.

Juliet looked down at the bright screen and I was so fucking grateful that I had it set up so my messages weren't completely displayed while the phone was locked. "Do you want me to read it to you?" she asked innocently.

"No," I might have answered a little too quickly. She just looked back at me a little curious and then shrugged and looked out her window. I grabbed my phone not even giving one shit if I shouldn't be texting and driving. I might not know what my friends were going to say, but I could guarantee it was not anything that wouldn't offend her. We were guys after all.

Garver: Are you still alive asshole?

Me: Yes. Middle of Texas.

Garver: If Pines were watching you would he still let you be breathing?

I chuckled at his words and shook my head. Fuck no he wouldn't let me be as close to his sister as I was that morning.

Me: He isn't haunting my ass if that's what you're asking.

Garver: We'll haunt it for him.

I knew he wasn't lying. Hell, it wasn't even really a threat. Just a reminder of what we'd all do for each other. My thumb paused above the small box, waiting to tap out an answer. The truth was, Lucas Garver was one of my best friends and I could use a little advice. I had no idea how I was going to finish this little mission without ending up tangled up with Juliet in the best kind of way. I was slipping.

Me: I need advice.

His reply popped up on my phone so quick, I barely had a minute to keep my eye on the road.

Garver: Warm hand or cold shower asshole.

I laughed a little louder that time and Juliet turned to look at me. The AC was on and it blew back a few strands of her hair, which was messily piled on the top of her head. There was that fucking ache again, causing me to adjust a little in my seat. I was in so much trouble.

Me: Would you believe me if I told you it might be worth the ass kicking you guys would serve me?

Garver: Fucking hell. It's not that hard! Just drive her to Cali and keep your dick in your pants and your hands to yourself.

I could almost picture the way he'd be cursing under his breath and giving me that "Are you fucking kidding me?" look he often shot my way when I screwed something up in the shop. I couldn't help but mess with him.

Me: Oh, it's hard all right...

Garver: TMI bitch.

Got him. I watched the road for a few minute with my phone in my hand. As much as we gave each other shit, he really was the best guy to go to for advice. I was sure he wouldn't let me down. Juliet leaned forward to turn up the radio then started singing softly to the song. I watched her rock slowly in her seat and had trouble pulling my eyes off her so I could focus on driving. Between her and my phone, I was going to get us off the road and plowing through the fields along side us if I didn't keep my eyes where they should be. Finally a message vibrated in my hand.

Garver: It's a bad idea, but some of my best memories come from going after really bad ideas. If you both could use a distraction then be adults about it. Don't confuse sex and love. The way I see it for your situation, one's gonna feel good, the others gone hurt. No matter what happens on the trip, when you talk to the boys in the shop you never touched her. I've been to one too many funerals this year already.

Me: Thanks man.

Garver: To be clear, I'm not giving you permission.

Me: To be clear, I wasn't asking for it.

I locked the screen again and dropped the phone back into the cup holder. Honestly, the only thing holding me back from pulling the truck over and begging her to pick up where I left us this morning was knowing she might not be in the best place to make the decision to invite in that kind of trouble. I usually didn't care if a girl I went to bed with had regrets the next day, but that might be because I wasn't ever around the next morning to see it in her eyes. I knew that seeing any regret in Juliet's eyes would make me volunteer to have my ass handed to me by the guys. There was something about her that naturally warned away guys like me. She was they type of girl you were dying to fall into bed with, but knew that wouldn't be the only thing you'd fall into. Only a couple hundred miles to go...I could do this...

*****Please vote and comment. Who's going to make the next move? Liam or Juliet? What advice would you have given Liam? Leave it below or on twitter (at)SarahWhiteWrite and tag it #ListenLiam.  I'll RT my favorites.