Part 24

Juliet

My face felt hot and my insides were nothing but a melted, jumbled mess. I was watching Liam sit at the edge of the bed, his hands gripping the mattress like he was afraid to let it go. I watched his strong back expand with each breath and my hand skimmed across the top of the sheets, pulled to him like a magnet to metal. I already knew how he would feel beneath my palm. I quickly made a fist and pulled my hand back like fire had touched my fingertips.

What in the hell was my sleepy brain thinking? We had a few more days together in the very small space of my brother's truck. If things had gone too far this morning the rest of our ride could've turned into a torture session. I just knew that feeling his hands on my body and his lips across my skin would smash through any boundary I could put up in defense of my heart. He and I fit together as if our creator had made us to be one. My heart was already packing its bags to make room for his in my chest. I wouldn't let mine go—no matter how insistent it was being.

"I'm going to grab a quick shower before we get on the road," I said softly, sitting up and slipping my legs out from under the covers. I watched his spine stiffen as if he was fighting turning around. He never did. He just nodded his head and remained perched at the edge of the bed. I grabbed a few things out of my bag almost finding it funny the way he wouldn't turn around. He was stronger than I was. Every second he wasn't watching me I was watching him.

When I stepped out of the shower I wrapped myself in a towel. I wiped my hand on the mirror to clear a space to see my reflection. My eyes were still sunken in with dark circles around them. I know everyone handles grief differently and I was a little disappointed I tended to want to sleep and retreat instead of handling it with my head held high and the ability to not miss a beat. I took a minute to dry my hair and slip into a pair of jeans and a soft purple shirt. The color helped my pale skin seem less washed out.

I opened the bathroom door to find myself alone. Liam wasn't on the bed and his bag looked like he'd tore through it in search of something. I gathered up my things and tucked them back into my bag. I checked each surface for a note, but there were none. My stomach turned. I hadn't been by myself since I found out about Ken and I was so afraid to feel the weight of my grief alone. My palms felt sweaty and I nervously tucked my bottom lip between my teeth. I was completely packed up by the time he came back.

The hotel door opened and a very sweaty Liam came in. His cheeks were a bit red and drops of sweat were traveling down his face in tiny streams. He was still handsome. His shirt was wet and his breathing was labored. He pulled the ear buds from his ears and wrapped their thin wire around his phone before setting it down on the small table. His eyes met mine and we stood there silent for a minute. "I needed to go for a run," he said as he rested his hands on his hips. His chest was still heaving with his breath.

I could feel my eyebrows pinch together as I watched his rippling muscles expand and contract as he cooled down. "It had to be hot out there." His shoulders lifted with my words and a small smile formed on his perfect lips. He moved his hand to the back of his neck as he continued to grin at me.

"It was getting a little hot in here," he joked. I felt a warm blush creep up my chest and across my face. We might have crossed a line we shouldn't have this morning, but I just couldn't help it. Having his strong hands on me felt too good. The way his fingers were tangled in my hair and his assured palm had pulled my small body against his very muscular one was like dancing in heaven. The blush seemed to grow warmer with those thoughts and I knew he could see the way the memories were causing my body to react.

"Maybe a little," I concede when his eyes don't look away.

"I'll just take a shower and then we can head out into town for some breakfast." His toned legs moved as he headed for his bag. I tried to back up against the bed to make room, but it wasn't enough and it felt like he shocked me as his heated skin brushed against mine as he passed. He smelled like hard work and pure masculinity and my brain took a back seat while my heart thudded away her approval. His hair was wet and standing up all disheveled as if he had been running his hands through it. I suddenly wanted to run my fingers through the short spikes.

"OK. Breakfast sounds good." My words were flat and fell heavily between us. He'd have to pass me again, and I could still feel the cool shirt against my hot flesh where he'd touched me. I was going to smell like him today and that made me happier than it should have. He nodded at me as he took a step in my direction. I scooted back as far as I could and felt the hard bed behind my calves and knees. He seemed to be focus on making it to the bathroom.

When the door finally shut and he was behind it, I felt the oxygen fill the room. It had been harder to breathe when he'd shared the space. I chuckled a little to myself as I shook it off and grabbed the remote to watch TV and kill time while he cleaned up. I heard the water turn on and any hope that I'd get lost in a program was burnt up as thoughts of him beneath the hot steam bombarded my brain. The once receding blush raced up my chest again. This was ridiculous. How could one man make me lose my senses?

I rose and headed for the AC unit beneath the window. It was way too hot in the room. I cranked it up to maximum air conditioning and stood in front of it. Grabbing my long hair and twisting it up off my neck, I kept my arms above my head, holding the ends of my hair there. The cold wind assaulted my skin and I finally was beginning to feel some relief when the bathroom door opened. Keeping my back to him, I closed my eyes and prayed the cold air would help settle my rapidly shifting body temperature. When I didn't hear him moving about, I turned just my head to look over my shoulder at him. Caught.

Liam was standing inside the frame of the bathroom door. He was only wearing his boxer briefs and dog tags, but was still holding his towel and dirty clothes. He was staring straight at me like I was a vision straight out of his dreams. His eyes were slowly taking in every detail from my bare feet to the curve of my neck. When his eyes reached mine he seemed surprised to find I was watching him.

"I can't cool down," I said rather lamely in explanation for my proximity to the AC. Over the loud whirl of the old machine I couldn't hear his response clearly, but it sounded like, "Tell me about it," as he moved towards his bag. I spun my head back around while he got dressed. I could hear the clink of his belt and the low zip of his zipper as he fastened his jeans. I waited until I heard him moving towards me to turn around. I wondered if my face was still flushed.

"Do you have everything?" he asked, pulling the strap of my bag over his shoulder and lifting it.

"I think so." I would have told him I could carry it myself, but we both knew he wasn't going to let me. He moved his chin to motion that I should head for the door. I slipped my feet into my sandals and he opened the door so we could head out. The sun was already beating down outside and I tried imagining how miserable it must have been for him to run in that heat. It was like punishment for having done something wrong, but I had a feeling he still wasn't feeling like he'd repented enough. Boys can be silly like that.

He tossed our bags into the bed of the truck and opened my door for me. "Thanks."

"No problem." He was being short with me, but his face told me he wasn't angry. His smile still tipped up one side of his mouth and when he slid on his dark sunglasses I swear my ovaries swelled. He was really something to look at. He walked around the front of the car and I watched him the whole way. He caught me looking and while I couldn't see his eyes through the dark lenses, I could see the way his brows rose just slightly as if to notify me he was well aware of me watching.

He climbed in beside me filling the entire cab of the truck with his freshly showered man scent and I just soaked it in. Liam was sex and trouble all on a stick, and I'd been caught with my hand in the candy jar. The only reason I didn't feel so embarrassed was because I knew his hand was just as sticky as mine. 

****Please remember to vote and share. Who are you picturing as Liam and Juliet?