Part 5

Liam

She smiled. She smiled and I knew right in that moment that I would do anything to keep it on her face. Pines might be up in heaven cursing my name, but I was down here on earth looking at a perfect little angel right in front of me that he had kept a secret. I get it. I'm not exactly the guy you want to introduce your sister to, but he had to know that once I got a look at her, I'd be gone. Bro code would be violated big time.

"You don't have to come with me. I'm sure there are people you want to see and stuff you need to take care of too." Her smile faltered for a minute, but she pulled it together again.

"Not a chance. All I need to do is get out of these Blues before I melt. After that, I'm all yours. I'll see my family when we get back from California," or whenever. I'd have the rest of my life to see them. Juliet was like a nervous kitten. If I didn't gain her trust, she would run right back out of my life. I already knew that she wouldn't be a quick dip situation. Of course I was thinking of her in that way too, how could I not? She was gorgeous and I just got home from being overseas. She was one of those girls that you knew turned heads everywhere she went, but had no idea the effect she was having on the men around her. I just didn't want her to be anything quick. I could tell once I got even a little taste, I'd be lost to an addiction of her.

She seemed unsure at first, shifting around in her heels and looking into my eyes before making any decision. "You'd do that for me? I wouldn't be able to repay you."

"You don't need to repay me. Pines was a good friend of mine. He'd do it for me." I immediately thought of him meeting my sister and instantly understood why he'd kept our two worlds separated. Pines and I were great wingmen for each other. There wasn't a girl in a bar we couldn't eventually get to come home with us. From town to town as we were drug across the states for boot camp, school and finally our permanent duty station, we managed to hit the bars and have a lot of good old-fashioned fun. We were Marines after all.

"I guess I just need to go back to my house and explain it all to my mom." Her lip tucked back under her teeth as she worried it between them.

"Is the entire pack of mourners going to your house?" I asked, feeling her dread from where I was standing. I hated that part of death. When you lost someone you loved, but then had to spend the raw hours after the funeral comforting strangers and acquaintances. I always wanted everyone to go the fuck home.

"I think so." She sighed and shook her head. "I want them all to go home." We were going to get along just fine.

"Look, I'm with Garver and a few other Marines, but I can tell them I'm catching a ride with someone. We can go sit somewhere and let the crowd have time to leave. If you don't mind your mom being there without you." I offered.

"My mom knows this isn't my thing. She loves when people pull together to support you—that's all her, not me. I took my own car here so that I wouldn't be trapped. She probably isn't expecting me until later tonight anyway." She reached inside her bra in a move that completely captured my attention. Her small fingers slid along the smooth skin of her breast as it spilled slightly from the neckline of her blue dress. She hadn't meant for it to be sexy, but the heat of the Texas sun and the tension building between us made the energy snap and crackle. When her fingers emerged from the place my dreams in the future would be built upon, she dangled a small key fob in front of me.

"Is there anything else in there I should see?" I teased.

"Pervert. Seven letter word." She smirked, dropping her hand and putting it on her hip.