9 | vanessa

"So, you've been in New York, for like what? Two months now? And you're telling me you haven't gone to Central Park yet? That's crazy!"

I rolled my eyes at Nate and took a bite out of the orange chicken I held between my chopsticks. "Shut it, Archibald." Nate smiled up at me and took a swig at his Iced Tea.

"Hey," he rose his hands up defensively. "I'm just saying, but don't worry I'll take you sometime." He winked at me and I couldn't help but smile at him as my stomach fluttered at the thought of us walking around Central Park together. "Thank, Nate. You know, you're the first person who's shown me around the city and has offerred to show more. I'm really glad we're friends," I could feel my smile grow wider, but for some reason it looked like Nate's grew smaller.

"You're welcome," he looked around the restaurant and then took a bite off his plate. "So, um- how are you dealing with everything?"

I sighed and placed my chopsticks down. It wasn't that I didn't want to talk about the situation I was in, I just didn't know how to. "I'm fine," I gave him a small smile and sipped on my Cherry Coke. He looked at me sternly and put his chopsticks down as well. "Be honest," he said.

I sighed again and leaned my head against the booth we were sat at. "I don't know if I'm exactly 'dealing with it'. I'm just kind of, well-" I shrugged. "...rolling with the punches."

Nate nodded and took his wallet out of his back pocket. He dropped some money in the middle of the table and smiled brightly towards me. "Come on, I want to show you something."

Nate and I left the Chinese Restaurant and walked side by side in the busy streets of Manhattan. I had my arm linked with Nate just so I wouldn't lose him in the crowd, but I couldn't help this weird feeling grow at the pit of my stomach as our bodies brushed together every so often. We talked about our childhood and favorite memories on our small walk and it was about noon when we stopped walking and Nate stared at a townhouse with a dark black metal gate. I was glad I had someone else as a friend, that wasn't my half sibling or almost half brother that I could talk to about personal things with.

"What is it?" I cocked my head to the side and read the Eviction slip that was taped to the gate.

"My house," Nate frowned as he shoved his hands into his pant pockets. "Oh," I looked over towards Nate and my heart nearly broke seeing the sad look plastered on his face. He looked like a lost puppy. "Hey," I stood in front of him and placed my hands on his shoulder. "Whatever you're going through, will pass. And whenever you need it, I'll be here to talk about it. I'm here, Nate." I smiled comfortingly at him. He had seemed distracted ever since we met, but I didn't really realise it was a problem that went on at home.

"Thanks, Alaska. That really means a lot. I'm just- it's not a good time to talk about it right now." Nate shrugged lightly. "That's okay, I'm here whenever you're ready." Whatever he is going through must really be terrible considering the look on his face.