12 | traditions

"Winter in New York... A gossip girl checklist to surviving the cold- Cashmere stole for ice-skating at Wollman Rink, Jaques Torres hot chocolate for window-shopping the holiday displays, and the perfect date for the Senior Snowflake Charity Ball." -Gossip Girl.

A week before Christmas, Alaska stayed at Lily's home until the holiday. Apparently, the reason Lily decided to spend Thanksgiving with Rufus was because Bart had hired a detective to spy on all of them. This, did not surprise Alaska one bit. Money causes people to do even the unspeakable of things, and Bart was no exception. Alaska avoided him at all costs, just like Chuck avoided her. It hurt her to think Chuck thought any less of her just because she wasn't his sister, a part of him wished she was- even thought they were now step siblings because Lily officially adopted him. But she wouldn't give up her semi-dysfunctional family for anyone.

Alaska grabbed the leather folder that held whatever the detective found on her and stuffed it into her school bag. It had been almost three weeks since she spoke with Nate, whom she saw on gossip girl; he had gone on a date with Vanessa. Though Alaska convinced herself it was nothing serious, because in the picture posted by gossip girl- Nate looked absolutely miserable, but it was probably because his dad was now in prison.

Alaska walked out of her room and approached Lily who stood at the kitchen bar with a fresh cup of coffee and a newsletter in her hand. "Good morning," she smiled and Lily looked up from the newsletter, smiling at her youngest daughter. Over the past few weeks, Lily had noticed how much Alaska looked just like Rufus. With their dark eyebrows, tan skin, and small pecks of freckles lining over their noses. Not to mention the large brown eyes they both bore, she looked nothing like Lily other than the light brown hair that had blonde streaks in it.

"Good morning, Alaska." Lily looked down at her watch with furrowed eyebrows. "Where are you going so early? It's eight in the morning?" Lily asked, taking a sip of her coffee. Alaska moved her bag further onto her shoulder and sighed. "There's just some things I wanted to get done before the, um." Alaska looked at a flier that was placed in front of Lily. It had details of the Snowflake Ball which Lily was hosting for the school. "... The Snowflake Ball," Alaska lied. Lily smiled and quickly pulled out her wallet.

"Well, I am so glad you have decided to go. I just know you're going to have so much fun-"

"Lily," Alaska stopped her from counting her money. "I was just going to ask Jenny if I could use one of the dresses she's made," Alaska said. She watched as Lily frowned, although Lily loved Jenny and her passion for fashion- she wanted to be able to give Alaska the best night she could ask for as this was the first party Lily was hosting that Alaska was attending. "Oh, well okay. Promise you will show me what you picked out?" Lily put her money back into her wallet.

"Of course," Alaska smiled as she walked past her mother. "I'll be back in a couple of hours is that alright?" Alaska called as she pressed a button for the elevator.

"Don't forget about your audition today! It's at 10:30!" Lily called just as the elevator doors closed behind the teen. Alaska closed her eyes when her back hit the wall. She hated lying to Lily, but she also didn't need to tell her that she was going to relive the tradition her and her caregiver Veronika have done since she was an infant. Alaska had finally gotten around to sending her a letter a couple weeks ago. This would be her first Christmas without Veronika, and it felt strange not being around the tradition she was raised in. The week before Christmas, Veronika would take Alaska to get her hair done as Veronika loved getting Perms. Then the next day, they would go out to eat at the most expensive restaurant in the city and order the same thing every year; a traditional Roman Cuisine. The next day, they would attend the annual Meravigliosa Vacanza Show where Alaska would perform with her fellow dance team and so on. For Alaska, it was like a week of celebrating Christmas and she missed it. Along with the letter she had sent Veronika, a silver bracelet with a red pendant implanted right in the middle to represent New York. To make matters worse, her dancing audition was today; a hobby that used to be a passion.