16 | the realm of the basses

The end of the day came sooner than Alaska anticipated, and she was happy to leave her last class

The end of the day came sooner than Alaska anticipated, and she was happy to leave her last class. Needing to catch up on her studies for her new classes, she decided on hanging around the courtyard for a couple hours, deeming it more quiet than the library.

When she arrived to the brick tables, she was pleased to find out no other students were there, everyone probably rushed home as soon as the bell rang. Alaska set down all her books, and took out a clean sheet of paper before writing her name on the right hand corner.

Alaska May Bass.

The name made her cringe, just like it always has. The court was supposed to change her name weeks ago, but when the holidays came around- they had to delay the process of her name change. It irritated her and her family, even though Alaska was thankful. She knew how Chuck felt about her, but having the same last name as him might persuade him to acknowledge Alaska. She just really didn't want to share the same name as Bart, may he rest in peace.

Sighing, she continued to write an essay on the newest eco-system founded by an elite from Manhattan. She became lost in her papers that surrounded her that she hadn't noticed other people had joined her in the courtyard.

"Thank you Headmistress Queller. If Chuck gives you anymore trouble, please do call me. With his father passing and all, his teenage antics shouldn't be taken too seriously."

Alaska looked up from her paper, curiosity taking the best of her as she eavesdropped on the conversation with Headmistress Quellar and a man Alaska thought looked familiar. A smirk was plastered on his face, and his hands were relaxed into the pockets of his expensive suit. His black hair was trimmed perfectly, and his pearly-white smile was sure to attract sugarbabies.

"Of course, Mr. Bass. You are his legal guardian now after all."

With another smirk, the man sent Quellar on her way. He looked ahead of him unaware of anyone around him as he pulled out his phone and continued to smirk at his screen.

The wind began to pick up on that January day, making some of Alaska's papers fly from her binder. She quickly stood up, chasing after them along with the man. He put his phone away and caught a couple of papers that flew around him. They both stood up at the same time and turned to each other. Bass. Of course. He resembled Bart incredibly, other than his tan skin and darker hair that hinted a younger age.

The man stared at Alaska, eyes wide and mouth hung. He knew her, he hadn't seen a picture in years, but it had to be her. Bart had told him that she was in New York and he couldn't wait until he saw her again.

But now she stood in front of him. Hair darker than he remembered, skin paler than he recalled, eyes lighter, and she's definitely grown in all the right places. Her eyes glanced to her papers in his hand and he quickly cleared his throat and extended the papers to her.