17 | indifference

(a/n; The majority of this chapter was written months ago. You'll notice that towards the end the writing style might be slightly different. I've definitely improved in writing a lot and I wish to write this story with a better writing style. Please anticipate more parts (: )

After Alaska had a nice hot shower, she blowdried her hair with the help of Jenny

After Alaska had a nice hot shower, she blowdried her hair with the help of Jenny. The two giggled quietly as Jenny purposely made Alaska's hair fly all over her head. Their laughter slowly died down as Jenny shut off the device, but their smiles remained.

"Can I ask you something?" Jenny looked over at her sister who began braiding her hair over her shoulder.

"Of course." Alaska tied the rest of her braid and looked up at Jenny. The blonde began to mess with her short hair in the vanity that the girls sat in front of.

"Why don't you have an accent?" Jenny looked at Alaska through the mirror. "I mean you're from Rome, do you speak Latin?"

"Yeah, I do." Alaska twirled the ends of her hair that weren't in her braid. "But my first language was English. My caregiver, Veronika, spoke English as a first language too. Growing up, the only time I spoke Latin was at school, or in a supermarket." Alaska laughed and shrugged her shoulders.

"What's it like, growing up in Rome?" Jenny looked genuinely curious as she eyed her sister. "No different than here," Alaska shrugged. "Minus the scandals."

Jenny laughed and pushed her sister playfully. Alaska laughed along and stood up from the stool. She grabbed her school bag as Jenny did the same. "You know, I already graduated from school over there. Just this past spring."

"Really?" Jenny looked over at her sister with her eyebrows raised. When Alaska nodded, Jenny gasped. "No way!"

"It's different over there." Alaska shrugged. "But I'm glad I'm getting the whole American Teenager experience firsthand, and not through American television." The girls giggled as they walked into the kitchen where their dad placed a box of cereal out for them.

"Goodmorning dad," Alaska smiled as she sat at the kitchen bar. Jenny walked around the stove and grabbed two bowls and two spoons.

"Oh, my gosh, dad! Has Alaska told you? She graduated from high school in Rome." Jenny sat next to Alaska and they began to pour themselves cereal.

Their dad looked up from where he was pouring himself coffee. "Really?" It amazed Rufus how much he didn't know about his daughter, and he blamed Lily for that. "Yeah," Alaska smiled up at Rufus before she put a spoonful of cereal into her mouth. Rufus looked at the dark haired girl and wondered what else he didn't know. She loved to dance, had a caregiver in Rome named Veronika, hates pickles, speaks two languages fluently, and her favorite movie was Breakfast At Tiffany's, and a whole lot more, but not enough.

"What's your favorite color?" Rufus asked as the girls talked amongst themselves. Alaska thought for a second before she shrugged at the sudden question, her mind casting over one color in particular.