Chapter 3: Rejection

Lexa's POV

The shine of the light reflecting in her light blonde hair hits me immediately. Her head is down as she opens the door, walks in and closes them again with a little click. She turns around and her baby blue eyes catch mine, confusion apparent in her face as she frowns, her left eyebrow is higher than the other one.

"Who are you?" She says and her look switches at the baggage of mine, then at her mother, then back at me.
"Clarke, this is Lexa," Abby smiles, awkwardness filling the atmosphere in the room, "she lives with us now. Say hi."

Silence full of confused and cold looks passes by. "What do you mean?" She says to her mother, not looking away from me still sitting on the staircase. Her eyes are dancing on my whole figure, not sure where they should stay.

"Lexa, this is Clarke. She seems friendly, doesn't she? Just forgot how to behave when meeting someone new. Excuse us." Abby says in sarcastic tone and grabs the blonde by her forearm, dragging her to the next room which I suppose is Abby's bedroom, closing the door behind them.

I don't know what to do with myself now, my fragile body is crushed on the stairs, not wanting to move but too curious to stay. I shouldn't listen to them but it's about me and my brain refuses to just sit and wait for another action. I reach for the railing and get up, leaning to it for support. I slowly walk closer to the door so I can hear some of their conversation and listen.

"I brought her from hospital. Clarke, her parents died along with one other girl in the car she was in."
"But that's not our problem! That's why hospitals exist, they can heal people. Or psychiatrist."
"If I died, would you like to be trapped alone in a hospital? Does it seem like a comfortable option to you?"
Clarke is quiet. The wooden floor squeaks slightly, probably one of them is moving around the place.
"Go apologize. And when go to your room to absorb it all, take some of her luggage with you, she's sleeping on the floor," Abby says quietly after a pause, "be nice, she's not a bad person."

I quickly move backwards near the stairs at least so I don't look that bad in front of my new cordial roommate. The door open again and Clarke comes out first, face to the floor. "Sorry for my behavior, Lexa," she says, not looking me in the eyes, I have to go upstairs now, see you."

She quickly goes past me, grabbing one of my bags and running upstairs. I hear her slamming with the door, sound capable of battering down the whole house. I should've acted more friendly. Amazing, Woods, you fucked it up again.

"Don't mind her," Abby comes to me, laying hand on my shoulder, "you must be hungry, sweetheart. Come on, I'll make you something." FOOD. My stomach growls suddenly, remembering how long it has been hungry. So long it disappeared from its memory. "Do you like sandwiches?"
"Honestly, I'd eat anything right now," I puffed, "but yeah, I love sandwiches. Thank you."

"Okay, just follow me to the kitchen and wait by the table, it'll be done in a flash."

Abby rushes away quickly, leaving me standing by the railing. I slowly step forward, still kinda fighting the abating pain which I bestirred sooner when moving the things from my old house. I walk by the doorless bore that's leading to the small, cozy kitchen, breathing in the familiar perfect smell of fresh coffee which is coming from here. "You really like coffee, don't you?" I ask, half in agony from the amazing scent caressing my weak tired body.

"Yeah, we love it! Sorry, I forgot to offer you some," Abby says, cutting the lettuce, "be right there."
"Oh, I didn't mean it like that," I raise my hands in front of me, "but thank you, I could use some."

I sit by the small wooden table nearby, leaning my back to the chair comfortably, closing my eyes in slight relief of pain. Abby turns on the kettle and turns back to the almost complete sandwich which is looking delicious. I can't just relax because my abdomen decided that it won't calm down until it gets some food.