Chapter 6: Deeper into the Woods

Lexa's POV

"Told you, I'm not in a mood." The sound of my hoarse voice echos through the vast room. My head is comfortably rested in a soft green armchair and my eyes are shut. The man won't stop talking.
"Open your mind, Lexa." He says calmly, sitting with crossed legs and glasses on the point of his long nose. "Talk to me about that day."
"No." I say stubbornly, changing my position constantly. I've been in this chair for too long, mostly half-asleep or complaining about how I wanna go away.

"This is our fifth meeting and you've told me nothing yet." He takes off his glasses and leans forward. "You're here because you have a problem, let me help you solve it."
"I'm irresolvable." I say eagerly and lean into the comfy armchair again, waiting for another annoying reminder of the worst days of my life.

When there's silence, I hardly open one eye to look if he's still sitting on his place. When I spot him staring at me directly, shivers strike through my spine and I sit up in a formal position. "What do you want me to say?"
Light grin appears in his face, causing him looking in his lap to cover how sadly funny I seem to him. Like a broken toy.
"I want to open you up," he says, returning his gaze upon me, "I'm paid for things like this. I have to find your deepest worries and eliminate them. For now, the only thing I know about you is your name and that your family died in a car accident."
"Isn't that what everyone knows?" I say, folding my arms, "nobody is interested in me as a person. Every one sees me just like a parentless feeble girl."
"I'm interested in you."
"As you said, you're paid for it. You don't really care about anyone that sits in this stupid armchair, you just want your money and then you can go home and complain about how dumb the people you meet everyday are."

The psychologist smiles widely with his teeth exposed. "You should be my psychologist then," he says, "try it. Ask questions."
I can't hide the confusion in my look. This man was always so close minded - at least he seemed that way. Every one of our meetings were ended shortly, I never spoke to him openly. He gave up everytime.
"Alright," I say triumphantly, "is there a reason why you do this job?"
He doesn't move an inch of his body, his eyes locked with mine. "Yes."
"Tell me. I'd really want to know."
"I like helping people like you."
"So why don't you help? All you do is torture here. You all do it. You bring up the worse memories of people and make them relive it all over again. As far as I know, that can help no one."

It irritates me how he says nothing and keeps the smirk on his face. There's always a long pause before he says anything, like he's thinking through every single option of words he can let out of his mouth.
"You're wrong, Lexa."

And he's silent again. I can't sit still, annoyance flashing through my body as I grit my teeth and narrow my eyes. "The only thing you did today was provocation," I say loudly, getting up from my seat "I'm leaving."
"Wait," he reacts immediately, rising his hand, "this is our last meeting paid by the hospital. If I didn't help you as you say, they could fire me. Please, sit."
"That's not my problem," I hiss, "you should've learned how to do your job. Bye."

Before the douchebag can say any more words, I bow my head to the floor and quickly leave the room that should be calming; it has exactly opposite effect on me though. I inhale deeply, my lungs filling with the hospital air once again as soon as I slam the door. My legs lead me to the reception where Abby promised she would be.

Long hallways and dark spaces in the corners of places that have no windows surround me through my way. There are people walking in an opposite direction and it somehow builds an anxiety inside of me. I fold my arms and with my head still down, I manage to strike to the reception. Abby isn't here yet so I sit in the waiting room, avoiding looks of others. No one's looking at you, you are not interesting.