Chapter 18: Mixed

Lexa's POV

It's been only a tiny little part of a second and our lips are crashing each other. I can feel Clarke's pressure on me as I bend backwards, almost falling off of the tree. Just a moment after her empowerment, I have to grip the branch beneath me to hold on, completely breaking our connection.

My eyelids separate, first thing in sight being the girl's face with a trail of surprise, her tears still sucking into her flawless skin. I notice some of them printed on my own cheeks, making me feel like I was the one crying.

I silently watch her tiny face expressions for a second. A mixture of excitement, lust and surprise quickly changes into worry and confusion. The gap between her thin pink lips disappears when she shuts them together and looks away, pretending nothing just happened.

"So.." Her raspy voice breaks the silence, her hands now clutching the branch beneath us with me. "What about that pizza?"
I have no chance to respond. The branch is already being bend as she climbs on it and quickly goes down the tree. I can hear her feet touch the ground as she jumps off the bottom of the trunk and glances up at my figure.

"You coming, Tree?"
Despite my hatred for that nickname, something in this moment is just so glorifying and special that the sound of it makes my dimples show up. In this very second I'm glad that I'm up here and she's that far away because I don't know what I would do if I was standing next to her. Hiding of my warmed up cheeks would certainly be more difficult.

I have to get down now. I could just climb down the old classy way or I could simply jump off. The air beneath me should not be an obstacle for me, I remember jumping off every time when I was a kid. Okay, I may have literally broken some bones few times but that was when I was a child. I surely can land smoothly now when I'm taller and all that-

My thoughts are interrupted when my right hand slips, causing my skinny body to fall off the tree. After a moment of terror my back harshly crashes the ground, sending wrecking pain up my spine.

My brain feels like it was hit by a rock repeatedly. I even go deaf for a second. When I open my eyes, I see blonde hair coming closer to my face.
"Oh god," Clarke can't help but laugh. "Are you okay, Lexa?"
Her little laughter sounds like she is giggling in some deep tunnels to me. I feel her hand touch my shoulder, helping me sit up to a straight position.

I touch my forehead with my left palm, feeling the heat of shock going slowly away. "Yeah, I guess."
Great Lexa, kiss a girl and then fall off a tree in front of her. Good job, you have such an amazing technique. Your flirting game is really strong.

When she checks my back if there's anything serious, she lets out another giggle. It sounds normal this time. "Can you stand up?" She asks, supporting my back with her hand. I nod and slowly get up on my feet, still feeling a little dizzy.

"Sorry for that," I let out a fake laugh. "Didn't plan on falling down."
She smiles briefly, but her eyes don't meet mine. "You don't have to apologize. It just happened."

We both now know she's not talking about the fall anymore. What should I think now? Does she regret that she kissed me back? Do I regret that I kissed her in the first place? Oh god, what if she's straight and she's just experimenting. Or not even that, she could be playing some joke on me or something. Maybe there's a whole group of her friends behind the bushes, ready to jump out and laugh at me at how stupid I was when I thought that she liked me. I shouldn't have kissed her.