Chapter 16: No Angel

Lexa's POV

-Night-

The screams were overwhelming me. It was just one second which felt like eternity. My body filling with fear, every muscle tightening. The noises of squealing metal. The sound of my own blood rushing through my veins, trying to burst out of my brain. It's all happening again. Everything and then nothing. It's like my life turned off in a blink of an eye. I open my mouth and scream. I can't stop.

"Lexa!" Clarke's voice breaks through my walls. My eyes flash open, spotting the weak silhouette of her face. I realize I stopped screaming due to her hand pressed to my lips. I look down at it and she removes it slowly. "No more screams?"
I shake my head with my mouth dry, still open. My sight is getting used to the darkness as I absentmindedly look around the room.

Clarke's shoulders loose. She's awkwardly kneeling on the edge of my mattress, visibly uncomfortable being in that position. But she doesn't move.
"What was it?" She whispers, staring at my miserable half sitting body.
I sigh. "The same thing as always," I look down at my sweaty palms. "Again and again and again."
"The car crash?" A sign of worry appears on her face.
I can't let out a word, there would most likely be tears when trying to. And I don't wanna cry again, so I just nod again.

Silence that makes me wanna fall asleep again fills the air. My eyelids are getting heavier by every second I spend looking into Clarke's eyes, hidden in darkness.
"I wish I could help you," Clarke whispers gently, not exactly disturbing the perfect silence.
I nod again and lie down. It's not like she can really help me anyway. It's not her fault, she shouldn't be interested.

"Go to sleep," my voice cracks in the middle of sentence, making my statement more than a failure. It's proving the exact opposite. "I'm okay."
She sighs. "Yeah, of course you are."
It surprises me when her feet start climbing up the mattress. She quickly slides under the blanket, accidentally touching my leg with hers. I flinch with the contact, not expecting the coldness.

I don't ask what she's doing. I can feel her on my back, her warm breath on my neck sending chills through my spine as she begins to hum. The melody is probably made up, my ears don't recognize it. My parents used to sing me to sleep.

We're not touching. But her presence comforts me. Her voice stopping my tears. And I wanna thank her for this. I thought she could never help me but she's doing it now. I slowly turn to lie on my back, not opening my soaked eyes. Offering my left hand, Clarke takes it. And I fall asleep with a smile on my distressed face.

-Day-

We handled my second day at school together. Not that it was something so tough, anyone barely looked at me. But Clarke brought me everywhere with her and dragged me around the building like a dog. Not in a bad way, I know she's concerned. We haven't talked about the previous night and I don't think we ever will. It was my weak moment. The fact that we woke up side by side with our fingers intertwined is not helping though.

Fortunately any of my today's classes aren't separate from hers. It's almost 1PM now and that means we're close to the end of the school. Just this one last boring period - math. I almost fall asleep when the tall man raises his tone.

"I'm gonna let you leave after you finish this short test," the teacher says, handing out small papers. "You're gonna work in pairs."
Clarke's hair immediately flip in front of me as her face appears. She slightly nods with a smirk and I can't hold back my lips to curve into a smile. She's unbelievable.