Chapter 14: It's getting rather cold

Lexa's POV

I step out of the building, the shine of the bright sun making me cover my eyes. It's not that different here. Just more trees and less crowded streets.
I look around. "Do you have an idea about where we should go?"
It's something in the afternoon and we don't have much time, I suppose we should be back at the train station by 6PM.

"Not exactly," Clarke shrugs, "but we can ask someone for some great places."
That is not that bad idea. There aren't many people around but we can surely just walk into a random shop and ask. As I think of it, we really didn't need to bring all those heavy stuff. We could've thought that at least small food markets would be here.

I swing the backpack forward, opening the main capsule and taking out one bottle of water. "Wanna drink?" I ask, watching Clarke smiling at the shining sky. "It's pretty heavy."
She drags herself out of the stare and her hand meets mine when taking the bottle. "Sure."

I take out another one and after closing it, I swing the backpack to its place. My head is constantly thinking out ideas of when I should throw it at Clarke. I mean, she was the one who just had to bring all those things, not me. Then why am I still carrying this stupid bag?

"You know what," she says after taking a long gulp of her water. "Screw this. Let's go wandering on our own."
"But where?" I shake my head in confusion.
"Let's try.. This way," she closes her right eye and points to the side by her left hand. Immediately after that she just goes that way. I wonder if she slept on the way because honestly, her speed is unbearable.

Clarke keeps speeding up. She always disappears around the corner, leaving my weak self far behind. I really hope she remembers the directions because I lost the count of the corners after first four. My lungs are gasping for air, begging me to slow down. My clothes are getting sweaty and the urge of throwing my jacket away is getting to my mind. There are few people looking over their shoulders at us; two girls running through the streets, jumping up and down the sidewalk, risking their lives by stepping on the road. People are starting to lessen their counts as we're probably getting closer to the edge of the small town. The weight on my shoulders is getting even harder to bear as my legs begin to weaken.

Clarke suddenly stops in her tracks, waiting for me to catch her. I'm gasping for air, holding back all the dirty words I have on my tongue.
"What the hell Clarke?" I ask, leaning on my knees.
She laughs. "Well, that was fun, wasn't it?" She stretches her right leg, pointing with her other hand to the distance. "See the abandoned building right there?"
I look up. "Yeah," I take a deep breath. "What about it?"

I shouldn't have asked. Of course she wants to climb it up.
"You know what."
I sit on the ground, letting the weight of the backpack pull me down. "It can be private."
"And what?" She smirks down at me. "Are you scared we're gonna get caught?"
I puff. "I'm not scared."
"Then what?"
"I'm just not stupid. What if it is some kind of old factory? There can be radiation or something."
Clarke laughs out loud. "Radiation?" She can't catch her breath. "Like hell there will be radiation. Firstly, it's too small for a factory. Secondly, what the fuck, Lexa? You will hold yourself from this kind of adventure because you're scared of radiation?"

When she says it like that, it's kinda funny. I don't even know why I don't want to go up there. It's the weird anxiety I get from heights I guess.
"Let's go," I finally say and getting up from the ground, I glare at Clarke's smirked face.
"That's my girl."

We don't run the rest of our way. As I see the building closer, I spot the fencing around it. It probably is or was private. I forgot about the empty bottle of water in my hand and realizing I was running with it the while way, I find the closest trashcan and throw it out.
"C'mon, jump," Clarke says, gesturing towards the tall fence.
"You first," I say, stepping back.
"Why?"
"Stop asking stupid questions, go first or you're the one carrying the backpack for the rest of the day."
She stops complaining and jumps up, climbing like a monkey. I can't say her legs and the whole figure doesn't look amazing from below here.

Clexa AU °Safe Haven° [#Wattys2016]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें