Chapter 2

Bonnie leaned out of the window, closing her eyes as she massaged her temples and breathed in the fresh air. Her mind subconsciously focused on the memory of her grandmother, when a sharp draft unexpectedly brushed her face. She flinched and shot up. All was quiet again.

Bonnie opened her eyes in shock and looked around. "Grams?" She asked hesitantly but her gaze only met with the stars glistening in the sky and the forest rustling at the background like before.

She sighed, disappointed and shook her head, preparing to go back inside, when her gaze came to rest upon the black bird sitting on the windowsill, which hadn't been there before. It was a crow.

Bonnie felt herself stiffen and blinked as the crow cocked its little head and looked at her through beady black eyes. Her headache, dulled by the aspirin, was forgotten as she stared back, an ominous feeling telling her she'd seen this crow before. She furrowed her eyebrows.

Her first instinct was to shoo him away, and she lifted her arm to do so, when an old memory drifted to the surface. A memory of her Grams telling her about crows, as a symbol of the spiritual aspect of death, or the transition of the spirit into the afterlife.

Bonnie's breath caught and her hand fell to her side again as she leaned forward to the bird, her eyes narrowing. "Grams?"

"Caw!" The crow called indignantly and ruffled its feathers before cocking its head once more.

Bonnie shook her head in disappointment. "I didn't think so," she mumbled as the small spark of hope left her and the familiar feeling of loss enveloped her once more. Still, the crow had managed to pull her out of her misery for a moment and for that she was grateful.

"Wait here. Don't go anywhere," she said idly to the animal and disappeared inside her room, to return with a crumbled biscuit, out of a pack she held in a drawer of her desk. Leaning outside, she surprisingly spotted the crow in exactly the same place she'd left him and a small smile formed on her lips as she carefully lay down the crumbs on the windowsill and retreated.

The crow took a few hesitant steps forward and clicked its beak. Its gaze shifted to the crumbs spread before him.

"For you," Bonnie invited him with a soft, non-threatening tone. She nodded encouragingly when the crow's beady eyes looked up at her again, searching her delicate features. Then, slowly closing the window, Bonnie momentarily looked through the curtains as the crow approached the crumbs with a few large hops and eagerly began to pick them up. She moved back to her bed and busied herself with a new novel she had borrowed from the library.

When she returned to close the curtains, the crow was gone.