Chapter 8

The next evening, Bonnie sat down on the window seat, waiting to see the crow emerge from the forest across the front yard, but was unpleasantly surprised when he didn't come. And to her disappointment, he didn't appear the evening after that either.

As a feeling of dread started to fill her, Bonnie sat down at the window every night, fruitlessly waiting for the crow to show up. Every night, she crumbled a biscuit, put it on the windowsill and left it there, hoping that the crow would return again, but it never did. She even tried to whistle, but to no avail.

As her hesitantly lifting spirits once again lowered dramatically, it became painfully clear to Bonnie how important the crow's visits during twilight had become to her. Somehow, the bird's silent attention had made her feel as if he were listening to her and comforting her. With his disappearance another feeling of loss was added to the one she had already been burdened with and it was becoming increasingly difficult for her to cope. 

The pile of crumbs on the windowsill kept growing and slowly decaying in a grimy mud mixed with rain, until one Sunday evening Bonnie threw open the window and with one furious movement wiped it all away, tears running down her cheeks as she closed her window. Enough was enough.